cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Win 10 cannot do an inplace upgrade on my SSD 600P series

Jump to solution

win 10 sees my M.2 SSD 600P series as a USB flashstation with setup so i cannot do an inplace upgrade how can i fix this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually Bruce, I think it may be SSD related, but not the way you think. My understanding is that NVMe support requires UEFI Boot. The SSU report indicates that Legacy Boot is being used. [Aside: It is unclear, but I get the feeling that this is a system that has been migrated multiple times, including from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (directly or eventually).] Regardless, a full reinstall of Windows 10 will be necessary. The Windows 10 installation media must be properly booted in UEFI mode and, during the installation process, all partitions on the SSD must be deleted (so the Windows 10 installer can create a proper GPT partition table).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted

Hello, @Jokerdad .

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I received your ticket involving the Intel SSD 600p Series, I will be glad to assist you.

Since this is not an Intel Hardware/Software related process, the best option would be to contact Microsoft for assistance, that way they can provide you guidance and also help you overcome any errors encountered during "in-place upgrade".

You mentioned the drive being recognized as a "USB flashstation", how is the drive recognized in Device Manager and Disk Management?

You can right-click the start menu button and then click Disk Management to see the drives and the partitions, or click Device Manager and then click Disk Drives to see the storage units recognized by your system. 

Is the 600p directly connected to the system (without enclosures, adapters, or other)?

Let me know.

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Highlighted
Novice

hello

my ssd is in the diskmanagement seen as a Standard NTFS diskdrive when my ssd is installed in the M.2 socket or on my PCIe card.

it was attached in a M.2 socket now i have installed it on a PCIe card.

when it was installed in the M.2 socket i had support for 2.5 hours of microsoft they took over my computer and tried the inplace upgrade that did not work,

then they deleted my antivirus and anti malware programs then they tried it again to install the inplace upgrade this did also not work,

then they used their own software to clean and repair and test the computer then they tried again to install the inplace upgrade and it stil did not work,

then they gave it up.

every time when they tried to install the inplace upgrade there was the message of: you cannot install windows on a USB flashstation with setup.

then i updated the drivers of the motherboard and the BIOS and  updated all the Intel drivers for Win 10 then i tried to install the inplace upgrade the message was there again.

then i bought the PCIe board with M.2 socket and put the ssd on this board and put it on the motherboard in the PCIe socket,

then i booted the computer and it all works fine so then i tried to install the inplace upgrade again and there was the message again.

my motherboard is an MSI Z270 SLI PLUS vesion 1.0 (MS-7A59) BIOS version: E7A59IMS.V1.A0

with kind regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, @Jokerdad.

Thank you for your reply.

We would appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• The SSU logs.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ (for Windows*) and to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ (for Linux) download the software.

2- When finished downloading it, open it.

3- Attach the file generated by the tool in your reply.

• How is your SSD detected in your BIOS, when connected to the M.2 port, is it detected properly?

• We do not support the usage of adapters with our SSDs, and we suggest you; connect the drive directly to the motherboard M.2 port.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

Highlighted
Novice

here is the SSU file and foto's of my BIOS

MSI_SnapShot.pngMSI_SnapShot_00.pngMSI_SnapShot_01.png

With kind regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, @Jokerdad.

Thank you for all the information.

Please allow us to review the information and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Highlighted

Hello, @Jokerdad.

Good day,

I have been looking for information regarding this error message internally, but this is not Intel SSD related.

For what I could find online, this is either a problem of corrupted operating system files, incorrect Windows registry entries, or configuration issues, sometimes getting to a point where a clean Windows 10 installation is required.

You can check the following links as reference, but please keep in mind that if you decide to follow any of the steps provided there, it will be at your own risk:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/you-cant-install-window...

https://www.kapilarya.com/you-cant-install-windows-on-a-usb-flash-drive-from-setup

We can also check the health status of the SSD just to confirm the drive is working fine by using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool:

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29820?v=t

- You can provide a SSD report, just click the name of the drive, move the mouse to "Features", click on "Drive details", click on "Export", save the file in your computer and then attach it to this ticket.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Highlighted
Novice

hello

here is my IMAS file.

with kind regards

J.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, @Jokerdad.

Thank you for the SSD details.

The unit is already running the latest firmware and I do not see any type of errors, alerts or concerning values, meaning that based on the report, the unit is in good condition and working fine.

This being said and knowing this is not SSD related, the only recommendation I can provide is for you to go back to Microsoft to discuss the information shown in the two links I shared in my previous message (regarding this issue seemingly caused by corrupted Windows files or registry entries), the possibility of performing a clean Windows 10 installation preserving the same license you already have, or any other options they can provide you in order for you to perform the upgrade.

If there are any questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually Bruce, I think it may be SSD related, but not the way you think. My understanding is that NVMe support requires UEFI Boot. The SSU report indicates that Legacy Boot is being used. [Aside: It is unclear, but I get the feeling that this is a system that has been migrated multiple times, including from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (directly or eventually).] Regardless, a full reinstall of Windows 10 will be necessary. The Windows 10 installation media must be properly booted in UEFI mode and, during the installation process, all partitions on the SSD must be deleted (so the Windows 10 installer can create a proper GPT partition table).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hello, @n_scott_pearson.

Thank you very much for providing that information, I had no idea that it could be related.

That is something I would consider the best option in order to overcome this error, it is also something that @Jokerdad may need to evaluate and check if it's possible or not, as I'm not sure if he may have any problems taking this route. After verifying here, the thread will be closed and no longer be monitored as there are no other recommendations I can provide regarding this error; if further assistance from Intel is required, please open a new community thread.

Once, again, thank you for your input.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Novice

hello

i have bought this computer new with win10 installed so i think that they did not know how to do a good installation of win10 on this kind of SSD.

thank you all for your support.

i know now what i can do to fix this properly.

thank you very much

with kind regards

J.

0 Kudos