cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7: use TRIM w/ built-in MS AHCI driver, or use IMSM/IRST driver and run SSD Toolbox

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm planning to install Windows 7 Ultimate w/ a X25-M 80GB G2 and I'd like to figure out what's the best way to configure the system. Here's what I know / assumptions so far:

1. Intel storage drivers (IMSM or IRST) is not able to pass TRIM command to SSD, whereas Microsoft AHCI driver is able to do so.

2. If one disregards fragmentation/degradation, IMSM / IRST offers (much) better performance than the Microsoft AHCI driver.

While we all seem to be waiting for Intel to release an IRST driver with TRIM support, has anyone tried the following 2 configs and determine which one offers the best performance?

1. Allow Windows 7 to pass TRIM to SSD by using Microsoft AHCI driver

2. Use IRST for the ICH, and run Intel SSD Toolbox periodically for defrag

By the way, I plan to run this on a 965 / ICH8 board.

I apologize if this has been covered in another thread and please kindly point me to that discussion. Thanks in advance for your help!
2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

With regard for Number 2, the question is if you will notice a much better performance. You cannot always go by benchmark results, for they do not always reflect what you do on your computer.

I use the msahci driver and quite satisfied with the performance. If Intel had a driver that passed TRIM automatically and offered significantly better performance that I would see on my computer, then I would make the switch to Intel driver. But, benchmark results do not always mean you will see a significant improvement, and I am not obsessed with benchmark results, nor am I obsessed with spending lots of time experimenting. I bought an SSD for speed and enjoyment. I have enough speed, so now I am more into enjoyment.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

With regard to your second Number 2, you do not use the Intel SSD Toolbox for defrag--you use it for TRIM.