cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 64-bit hangs/freezes on file transfers with Intel X25-M SSDSA2M080G2XXX

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
I've been dealing with this issue for about a year now. I've searched the internet and found dozens of forums where people have had the same problem, but no one seems to know how to fix it, or what the real cause is. I've tried innumerable solutions, I can't even remember them all. I'm making one last ditch effort to solve this before I start replacing hardware, which I don't want to do because I'm broke. The problem is that randomly Windows 7 64-bit will hang and/or freeze during file transfers. It can be something as simple as browsing the internet (small cache files), moving files on the computer, or downloading huge multi-gigabyte files. The OS will hang, and programs will start to become unresponsive ("Not Responding"). If I open the Resource Monitor, there is 100% Highest Active Time (the blue line) on the drive doing the file transfer, but hardly any actual I/O disk activity at all. The disk activity LED light is on 100%, but nothing is happening. In fact, the file transfer pauses during this time. The mouse is still responsive, and some windows are still active, but start to go unresponsive as you click on them. After anywhere from 1-3 minutes the computer will go back to normal, the blue line in the Resource Monitor drops back down, and file transfer activity resumes as if nothing happened. Occasionally this will cause the OS to freeze, and the only solution is to reboot. That's the gist of it. I've tried all sorts of things to remedy this. The only thing that seems to have worked is replacing my Intel SSD with a Seagate HDD. But I'd like to keep the Intel SSD if possible. Please let me know what to try, and I'll let you know if I've done it, or give it a go. I have the latest firmware installed on the SSD, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed, and the SSD Toolbox shows no errors. Here are the specs of my machine:
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (clean install)
  • ASUS P6T Motherboard (latest 1408 BIOS)
  • Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit TR3X6G1600C9
  • EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card (latest nVidia drivers)
  • Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Have the same issues with this SSD. Tried to reinstall Windows 7 64 on the SSD but it hangs during the installation. I am using a MSI P6N SLI V2 motherboard. Maybe it is an incompatibility with this chipset?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My system freezes up since I have upgraded to the new firmware (version 1.7)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hesadanza, are you running on the ICH10R ports or one of the two EZ-RAID ports?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've tried the SSD on both types of ports, with the same result.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have exactly the same problem but I'm running Windows 7 32-bit and I have a WDC WD2500JS-60NBC1 hard drive. The very strange thing is that my system was running perfectly for almost 4 months now. Then after Windows made an auto-update 2 days ago this strange behaviour started. So I thought to recover my system to a previous stage but it didn't help at all. When I do a S.M.A.R.T. check on my disk, the results are all OK. I noticed that as soon as the system is in idle the high activity time of the disk goes down but as soon as there is a small data transfer on the disk it goes up to 100% even the data transfered is as small as a few KB. Using the diagnostic tools of WD didn't help as the test results are all OK. So I assume that there must be a problem with Windows as in my case this problem just started after that Windows update.

At this time I didn't found any solutions yet.