cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 64-bit hangs/freezes on file transfers with Intel X25-M SSDSA2M080G2XXX

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
I've been dealing with this issue for about a year now. I've searched the internet and found dozens of forums where people have had the same problem, but no one seems to know how to fix it, or what the real cause is. I've tried innumerable solutions, I can't even remember them all. I'm making one last ditch effort to solve this before I start replacing hardware, which I don't want to do because I'm broke. The problem is that randomly Windows 7 64-bit will hang and/or freeze during file transfers. It can be something as simple as browsing the internet (small cache files), moving files on the computer, or downloading huge multi-gigabyte files. The OS will hang, and programs will start to become unresponsive ("Not Responding"). If I open the Resource Monitor, there is 100% Highest Active Time (the blue line) on the drive doing the file transfer, but hardly any actual I/O disk activity at all. The disk activity LED light is on 100%, but nothing is happening. In fact, the file transfer pauses during this time. The mouse is still responsive, and some windows are still active, but start to go unresponsive as you click on them. After anywhere from 1-3 minutes the computer will go back to normal, the blue line in the Resource Monitor drops back down, and file transfer activity resumes as if nothing happened. Occasionally this will cause the OS to freeze, and the only solution is to reboot. That's the gist of it. I've tried all sorts of things to remedy this. The only thing that seems to have worked is replacing my Intel SSD with a Seagate HDD. But I'd like to keep the Intel SSD if possible. Please let me know what to try, and I'll let you know if I've done it, or give it a go. I have the latest firmware installed on the SSD, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed, and the SSD Toolbox shows no errors. Here are the specs of my machine:
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (clean install)
  • ASUS P6T Motherboard (latest 1408 BIOS)
  • Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit TR3X6G1600C9
  • EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card (latest nVidia drivers)
  • Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have had this same problem since i Installed Win 7 Ultimate X64....did all the tests and EVERYTHING came back peachy,but still had freeze ups.Sooooo I took a chance and removed my GeForce 9500gt 1gb ddr2 and replaced it with my 6 yr old 6800gt...everything runs smooth as hell but doesn't have the graghics capabilities for newer games . That's how i solved it.the 9500gt is pooh for windows 7.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I doubt your issue is caused by the SSD. I have exactly the same hangs/freezes and no SSD.

My setup is as follows:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme - no overclocking

Intel Core i7 950

Corsair 12G ram - tests fine witj memtest86++

2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB using RAID1 setup on single partition

I have been dealing with this issue for over a year now. The problem seems to come

and go with various Windows updates. It seems to always run fine for an hour or two

after reboot.

Performance monitor show 100% Disk Activity and disk light is on solid. When the

disk activity drops, the applications become responsive again.

I have read about a deadlock issues in the Intel Matrix Storage driver, but have not

seen any fixes that work.

I have tried vaious versions of the iaStor.sys from 8.8.1009 to the renamed Intel Rapid Storage

driver 10.6.0.1022. The problem still persists.

I suspect the problem is a deadlock condition in the RAID driver.

Has anyone solved this issue.

I am dumping my RAID1 setup to back to non-RAID as the RAID solution has caused more

grief than if the disk crashed and I had to rebuild my system from backups.

It appears Win7 x64 with RAID via the Intel ICH10R is not yet ready for prime time.

Pete

Richard_A_Intel
New Contributor

Cross posting my finding on this problem. I found the registry settings had no effect, however a Control Panel Power setting did resolve an SSD hang for me.

http://communities.intel.com/message/136594# 136594 http://communities.intel.com/message/136594# 136594