cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 TRIM not working?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have Win 7 x64 with the latest firmware on my drive but when I ran AS SSD, the drive significantly got faster after runing the toolbox optimizer. Does this mean TRIM is not working?

Some info: AHCI set in BIOS. Under Device Manager by connection: ACPI x64 > Microsoft ACPI > PCI Bus > Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller, atapi.sys, ataport.sys, msahci.sys and pciidex.sys are listed. But under ATA Channel 0 where my INTEL SSD is attached, it only shows atapi.sys and ataport.sys.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am wondering the same thing. I ran the optimizer in the toolbox, and of course, the behaviour was much faster. So does one need to run the optimizer at least once, then let trim take care of things, or is trim really working at all?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I`ve exactly the same drivers in my win7 x64 and I guess TRIM is working because I`ve installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver, run the Toolbox and I got less speed than without it, so I`ve uninstalled everything.

One of my friend had a problem, he had 2 different Sata controller on his motherboard he has activated the AHCI in BIOS, but his SSD was connected on the other controller which wasn`t set to AHCI. After setting it to AHCI his SSD is flying.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My device manager lists the same drivers, so I don't think you have a problem there. I did run the toolbox once after installing because trim was not active initially. Performance seems to have remained similar since then, but the drive is less than half full and mainly used for Windows/Apps, but not data, so maybe I haven't had enough writes to cause a problem.

PCoup1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

According to MS, Win7 should disable defrag, superfetch and prefetch upon detection of an SSD.

Most people in this forum and others have found that this doesnt happen either.

(yes I did run that dumb windows experience index thing)