cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Ultra x64, X25-M 80 gb SSD - where did all the space go?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a new system with Windows 7 ultra x64 and an Intel X25-M 80 gb SSD. When I look at the SSD (C:) in windows explorer or do a rt-clk properties, it shows that there are 38.7 gb of 74.4 gb free. But on C: there were only 6 folders (NVIDIA, PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Files (86), Users, and Windows). But adding the size of all 6 folders, its less than 2 gb. Allowing the view of hidden files shows Program Data folder, but its only another 117 mb.

What the heck is taking up so much space, and why doesn't it appear in explorer?

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That's odd.... Write click the C: drive under My Computer and check the disk usage there. A standard Windows 7 install will use 10-15GB excluding the Paging File and Hibernation.

Speaking of which, if this is a desktop.... you can probably disable the Hibernation function. Hibernation requires disk space equal to your RAM size. (i.e. If your computer has 8GB RAM, the Hibernation file will be 8GB.) Hibernation is Suspend to Disk and most users rather use Suspend to RAM since power draw/outages is not usually an issue.

If you still are "missing space", try running WinDirStat: http://windirstat.info http://windirstat.info It provides a graphical breakdown of your disk usage by file type and directories.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, I had used windirstat years ago when a coworker shared it, but had forgotten all about it.

Windirstat shows that , which are system files, take up 21 gb. Maybe this is paging and hibernation - they don't show with explorer, even with hidden files shown. Then, windirstat shows that the "windows" folder takes up 13.5 gb, although explorer shows this folder is only 6.5 mb (NOT gb).

So, what gives, and how do I see what is really there? - thanks for the help

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just right clicked / expand in windirstat, and there are 2 files - pagefile.sys of 21 gb and hiberfile.sys of 12 gb, so that is where all the space went. And, I have 12 gb of RAM, so I guess that explains the size of the hiberfile.

But, any guidance on setting the pagefile size, and what the optimum is? That just seems excessive.

Also seems that if I say show hidden files they should show up.

Thanks so much for the reminder on windirstat - gredhead

gredhead wrote:

Also seems that if I say show hidden files they should show up.

they're system files, so you also need to uncheck 'hide protected operating system files'.