cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Ultra x64, X25-M 80 gb SSD - where did all the space go?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a new system with Windows 7 ultra x64 and an Intel X25-M 80 gb SSD. When I look at the SSD (C:) in windows explorer or do a rt-clk properties, it shows that there are 38.7 gb of 74.4 gb free. But on C: there were only 6 folders (NVIDIA, PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Files (86), Users, and Windows). But adding the size of all 6 folders, its less than 2 gb. Allowing the view of hidden files shows Program Data folder, but its only another 117 mb.

What the heck is taking up so much space, and why doesn't it appear in explorer?

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I would disable the page file altogether. (Based on 12Gb of RAM and on the assumption you are not running any apps that specifically need it. I have 8GB of RAM with no page file and have had no problems not using it.)

Next up disable hibernation to free up the RAM space on the SSD.

I also disable system restore and delete the restore files. (With Win 7 it is easier to create a system image for back up, which is more comprehensive than system restore. (System restore will only restore drivers, a system image back up everything).

As your installation of Win 7(or Vista) for that matter ages over time you will see that the winsxs folder grows uncontrollably. I've seen it above 10GB and it can get even larger. There is nothing that can be done to reduce its size, so the space saving tips above will become more important over time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

gredhead wrote:

Just right clicked / expand in windirstat, and there are 2 files - pagefile.sys of 21 gb and hiberfile.sys of 12 gb, so that is where all the space went. And, I have 12 gb of RAM, so I guess that explains the size of the hiberfile.

But, any guidance on setting the pagefile size, and what the optimum is? That just seems excessive.

Also seems that if I say show hidden files they should show up.

Thanks so much for the reminder on windirstat - gredhead

Disable Hibernation feature: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Paging File is a bit more subjective. Some application are known to crash without one but a lot of home desktop users have reported no issues without one. I personally run 6GB RAM with 1GB virtual memory.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Great Great Great - thanks DuckieHo. Foundhttp://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-cutting-your-system-drive-down-to-size/2941 this article (see page3), which helped in moving the pagefile to non-SSD disk, and reducing size. The settings are really buried. Reboot, and got my 12 GB SSD space back. But the advice in that article for using alt-shift-enter with cmd to turn off hibernate does not work. Back to your last post, your link on hibernate, and the rt-clk cmd, run as administrator, worked like a champ. I had previously turned sleep and hibernate to "never," but that didn't help. Turning it off from admin cmd, rebooting, and I have all my SSD C: space back - only total of 15.6gb used now. Ran windirstat one more time just to see.

thanks again