cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows setup does not recognise X25-M SSD on Lenovo T61

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a Lenovo T61 laptop and have installed an X25-M 80GB SSD in it. It is recognised in the bios, and bios runs a test on it successfully. I wanted to do a clean install of Windows XP and so I tried booting from the DVD drive with my windows CD, and then installing windows. When i do this, the windows installation program stops and says that no HDD is present - even though the Lenovo bios does think it there. I am stuck - do I need any special drivers? Help, please!!!

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you're trying to install XP with SATA in AHCI mode, then yes, you need special drivers. You'll either need to create a special boot CD with the drivers already on it or supply them from a floppy using the F6 function function. Search the Internet for instructions, for example "install xp ahci".

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks - I really appreciate your quick response. I have downloaded what appear to be the correct drivers, and am heading out today to get a USB floppy drive. I'll let you know what happens. Your help is appreciated!! Martin.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Success!! I couldn't find the correct drivers on the Intel web site - I needed the 82801HEM/HMB (ICH8M) driver set and they were not there. I tried other versions and they did not work. However, I checked the Lenovo support web site than they had the correct ICH8M drivers. Loaded them onto a floppy, and all is now working perfectly. Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input. Windows is loading as I type this out, and hopefully my problems are now solved. Thanks!! Martin.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

as ZXTT95 helped in another thread of a similar topic, also consider aligning your partition before you install XP on it.

http://communities.intel.com/message/83842# 83842