cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25M 80GB on Windows 7 64bit - (full) read scan error

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello all,

I have a strange problem. I am using a 80GB intel X25M (G2) with the latest firmware with Windows 7 64bit.

For the most part everything is working BUT my WHS backup utility refuces to back up the drive. I have a very similar computer with another intel SSD and it backs up well and my other hard drive on the same machine also backs up fine.

I tried runing the Intel SSD toolbox - the fast diagnostic is all O.K. But when I run the full one the read part works for a bit and then writes in red that I should contact Intel. I am not sure what is the problem. I tried doing a chckdisk but since this is a system drive it needs to do it after reboot during startup. When I did that something very strange happened - I did not see anything on the screen after the bios ended only very thin colored dots/lines on the very top edge of the screen - they built up gradually and after 5 minutes or so the system started windows - no regular chckdisk text or anything.

I even tried to do checkdisk from my second OS installed on a different HHD - it didn't return anything.

I also should mention that when I first formated the SSD I left about 20GB of untouched space (non formated) - from what I understand the Intel SSD could utilize this for either extra speed/longer lifetime (I did the same thing on the other SSD by the way with no issues - although I didn't check it with the full toolbox scan).

Ideas? Is my SSD toast? It looks like its working fine other than that...

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Update:

I am still unable to backup using WHS but now I get this massgae:

"The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRIn"

I also looked at the computer event log and found some error masages:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

Ideas?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It sounds to me like the memory controller has an error occurring. It's possible you have some bad blocks in the SSD? it sounds to me like one of the NAND chips inside of the SSD is having some trouble. I'd ask intel about it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is what I was affriad of...

Is there anything else I can check to be sure its a hardware problem?

I know how to call the store I bought the disk from but how do I contact Intel directly?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

simply by using check disk, you've pretty much isolated it as a hardware problem. although if you have the data backed up, you could attempt to write 0s to the drive. by writing to every block, that allows you to test every block of the drive. but no guarentees. and you'd lose everything on the drive. as for obtaining an RMA and/or contacting intel about this, the page you likely would need is the link below.

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/x25m/

hope this is of help. and my best to a quick solution