cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25M Unable to update firmware

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've just got a brand new X-25M drive which causes Windows 7 to lock up when performing the last steps of installation. I've tried on both a ASUS Striker II Formula and a ASUS P5E Deluxe.

I read a few places online (including here) that updating the firmware might solve the problem, so I burned the .iso to a DVD and booted it. The problem is that when it reaches "Scanning system for Intel SSDs......" it stops there, cursor blinking.

I've experimented with various AHCI/IDE modes - disabling S.M.A.R.T. etc. to no avail. I get no error (that it is unable to detect the drive).

Is there anything I can do, or is it a faulty drive?

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am having the same problem. I bought a gen2 80gb intel x-25m. I have updated my mobo's bios as far as I can without a mod. I have cloned Windows 7 onto the drive using Acronis True Image. I cannot update the firmware using the downloadable ISO. It hangs at "Scanning system for Intel SSD's". I have seen a post on another site that recommended booting the firmware from a usb stick. I have tried that, but have had no success and feel that I should not have to go to such lengths to simply update the firmware. Obviously my mobo recognizes the ssd, seeing as how I can boot from it.

At this point I am ready to return the drive as it truly isn't that much faster than a standard 7200rpm.

Intel, step up, answer this issue with a WINDOWS-BASED firmware update, asap.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I was unable to detect but after switching to AHCI it worked fine even though I had 2 other HDs and a DVD burner connected and the SSD was not on the first connector. I am using a GA-P55A-UD4P.

Perhaps you are not waiting long enough. It takes a long time to find the drive, maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have no way of checking AHCI in the bios, as this mobo has a proprietary setup. I made the switch to AHCI in Windows using a registry edit.

I have waited as long as 12 hours, it never finds the ssd. It just hangs there.

INTEL - A windows-based solution please? And a better setup guide would be nice. People shouldn't have to fumble around trying to get these things to work.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well.. By some combination of black magic and pure, blind luck I got the HDD updated. My solution?

I added all the other drives back in, and it worked. (!) I was already on latest firmware.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

See previous post.