cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25M Unable to update firmware

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've just got a brand new X-25M drive which causes Windows 7 to lock up when performing the last steps of installation. I've tried on both a ASUS Striker II Formula and a ASUS P5E Deluxe.

I read a few places online (including here) that updating the firmware might solve the problem, so I burned the .iso to a DVD and booted it. The problem is that when it reaches "Scanning system for Intel SSDs......" it stops there, cursor blinking.

I've experimented with various AHCI/IDE modes - disabling S.M.A.R.T. etc. to no avail. I get no error (that it is unable to detect the drive).

Is there anything I can do, or is it a faulty drive?

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You should`ve more success with ASUS P5E Deluxe because it has Intel chipset.

Lot of times the Sata cable connector becoming loose, try to change it for another one or a brand new one.

The latest firmware version is 2CV102HD.

When you trying to install windows, connect your SSD to Sata1 port and disconnect the other HDDs, set Sata to AHCI in BIOS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I doubt it's the cable, as I've been able to install Windows almost completely with it, but it's worth a try unless someone else has input.

I am able to detect the drive perfectly in Windows, create new partitions and install up to the point where it boots. After boot, it hangs at the logo. Not even safe mode will boot.

But in the Intel utility, it just hangs during detection as described above. (No errors, just hangs). I have tried AHCI mode as well as IDE. I have placed it in port 1, and disabled all other ports.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Have you checked your SSD Firmware version?

Maybe worth to check the motherboard firmware version too, or have a look in the motherboard manufacturer`s forum.

My last idea is if you can see your ssd in windows (Vista/win7), (boot from another drive), try to format it and install windows on, without formatting that time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the input so far. The drive belongs to a friend, and I will try from windows on his normal disk soon.