cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25MG2 160GB really slow.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have had this drive for a couple of months and it has been working great. My little issue is shutting down the system. It takes appox. 12 seconds to shut down. It usually only take about 4 seconds to shut down after running the toolbox, which I assumes forces a trim command.

anyway, I used to run the toolbox in about 1.5 minutes when doing it weekly, but I decided to let it run for a few wekks to see how trim work on it by itself.

well, after 3 weeks it still takes 12 seconds to shut down, but after running the toolbox last night, it took 5.5 minutes ths times and acts like maybe trim hasn't been work at all?

Is there a way to monitor trim and how often it is run? Last time it has ran?

when I installed windows it was in ide mode and a registry tweek to enable ahci and a bios setting has worked so far. I was told trim still works in IDE mode, but it acts like it's off. I checked with dos commands and trim is turned on.

I run as ssd and it reports normal speeds as compared to others on this site. It runs very well all around, just the inconsistant shut down bothers me.

-=Mark=-

I'm using win 7 ult. x64, ich10, ahci mode, msachi drivers, x58 mothrboard.

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

HDDErase 3.3 will make wonders and it is only right solution for these drives.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have reinstalled windows and it seems fine so far, will let you know if it gets any worse.

aso, why HDDerase? what does it do to make any difference over other optimizers? or is this just spam?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Its the System Restore and this seems to be a common problem when the system creates restore points. There is a new thread started that discuss what I and others seem to be encountering....so far Intel has not jumped in.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, it is not only the system restore in this case. He had normal speeds. The problem was his computer taking a long time to shut down, which he solved by reinstalling Windows. Check his first post in this thread. Now he did complain of TRIM taking a long time to run, but with normal speeds, this could possibly be solved with just reinstalltion of Windows. Seems to me that those with system restore issues have their speeds affected, however, someone else mentioned TRIM running-time issue solved by deleting restore points.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

His case sounds exactly like that that is surfacing everywhere with respect to system restore being on and manual trim taking a long time. The conclusion I am making is, as Optimizer is taking so long, TRIM is not working correctly. The common factor to what we are seeing (lower performance, longer optimization, slower boot/shut down) seems to always be system restore.

I am truly of the opinion that System Restore reaks havoc on ones system and I wish I knew a few that had the G1 to test the theory if they have system restore running.