cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25MG2 160GB really slow.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have had this drive for a couple of months and it has been working great. My little issue is shutting down the system. It takes appox. 12 seconds to shut down. It usually only take about 4 seconds to shut down after running the toolbox, which I assumes forces a trim command.

anyway, I used to run the toolbox in about 1.5 minutes when doing it weekly, but I decided to let it run for a few wekks to see how trim work on it by itself.

well, after 3 weeks it still takes 12 seconds to shut down, but after running the toolbox last night, it took 5.5 minutes ths times and acts like maybe trim hasn't been work at all?

Is there a way to monitor trim and how often it is run? Last time it has ran?

when I installed windows it was in ide mode and a registry tweek to enable ahci and a bios setting has worked so far. I was told trim still works in IDE mode, but it acts like it's off. I checked with dos commands and trim is turned on.

I run as ssd and it reports normal speeds as compared to others on this site. It runs very well all around, just the inconsistant shut down bothers me.

-=Mark=-

I'm using win 7 ult. x64, ich10, ahci mode, msachi drivers, x58 mothrboard.

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

But he has "normal speeds." I haven't seen anyone with system restore issue saying they had normal speeds.

This is what he said in first post: "I run as ssd and it reports normal speeds as compared to others on this site. It runs very well all around, just the inconsistant shut down bothers me."

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't recall attributing only lack of performance to the problem we are seeing with people using System Restore.

I would be more concerned of the optimizer taking 5 plus minutes than my shut down time. To me this is an indication that TRIM is not working properly and is very indicative of the System Restore Issue.

There are ways to tackle the shut down issue in any case but, in my opinion, he is speaking about exactly what I am suggesting.

From http://www.myw7blog.blogspot.com www.myw7blog.blogspot.com

f. Speed Up Your Shut Down Time Windows 7 allows you to control your shut down time and allows it to be set from instantaneous to a 20 second delay. In considering this, your work habits need to be thought of and whether or not there is data being saved on exit. My shut down time is set at 2 seconds which I find a perfect setting as I hate waiting for a computer to shut down. We need to go into the Registry for this one so buckle up! Press Winkey +'R' and type 'Regedit' which brings you to the Registry Editor; Follow" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control and then look to the right to find WaitToKillServiceTimeOut and double click on it. You can enter a value from 2 to 20000, each value representing a millisecond. Two seconds would be 2000; and Again click OK and then simply exit the program; it will be saved automatically.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I never said only performance issues with regard to speed is attributable to system restore. I am saying I haven't seen anyone with "normal speeds" having that issue with system restore. I know system restore can cause longer times to run TRIM via SSD Toolbox.

First of all, he has msahci driver and I don't know why he runs Optimizer. He has TRIM running automatically. He has reported back that reinstalling Windows solved all his problems, which could be because there aren't lots of restore points; however, this at the moment is just an assumption. If he lets the system restore points accumulate as before and reverts back to same problem, then he should know to either delete old restore points or disable system restore and use a different way to backup.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually, since he is using Windows 7 and msahci driver, there is no need to run Optimizer. Still, from what seems to be the case, deleting old restore points seems like a good idea, just leave last one available or backup with a different method and disable system restore.

I don't use system restore, so I don't know if having lots of restore points affects how TRIM runs automatically, not via Toolbox, just automatically.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

OK, I started having 12 seconds shut off times agaian about a week ago. I have been waiting for TRIM to have time to run. I figured a week was more than enough time for it to run.

I installed the toolbox (1.3 dated 3/22/10 apparently a new version) and run times were less than a second. I thought for sure it was a glitch or I hit the wrong key or something, but when I hit shut down it took about 4 seconds!

Is there a way to find out when TRIM was last run? How do I force a TRIM command? and What triggers a TRIM command?

Does this new aiStor work well? Is it worth installing? or should I just wait for the next updated driver?

Thanks a ton for your help

-=Mark=-