cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25MG2 160GB really slow.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have had this drive for a couple of months and it has been working great. My little issue is shutting down the system. It takes appox. 12 seconds to shut down. It usually only take about 4 seconds to shut down after running the toolbox, which I assumes forces a trim command.

anyway, I used to run the toolbox in about 1.5 minutes when doing it weekly, but I decided to let it run for a few wekks to see how trim work on it by itself.

well, after 3 weeks it still takes 12 seconds to shut down, but after running the toolbox last night, it took 5.5 minutes ths times and acts like maybe trim hasn't been work at all?

Is there a way to monitor trim and how often it is run? Last time it has ran?

when I installed windows it was in ide mode and a registry tweek to enable ahci and a bios setting has worked so far. I was told trim still works in IDE mode, but it acts like it's off. I checked with dos commands and trim is turned on.

I run as ssd and it reports normal speeds as compared to others on this site. It runs very well all around, just the inconsistant shut down bothers me.

-=Mark=-

I'm using win 7 ult. x64, ich10, ahci mode, msachi drivers, x58 mothrboard.

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You can see the last time TRIM was run under Intel SSD Management Tools>Status--shown in Intel SSD Toolbox.

The above is for those who run TRIM manually or via a schedule. If you use the msahci driver, there is no such information in Toolbox. If you are concerned about TRIM, run AS SSD periodically and look at the results.

I can't answer about iaStor because msahci is what I have used from the beginning, because my speed is fine and I prefer TRIM running automatically.

Do you have System Restore enabled? If yes, delete old restore points and leave just the last one, or delete all the restore points. I disabled System Restore and use another SSD for creating a system image.

You can "force" TRIM to run via SSD Toolbox. Why are you so concerned if TRIM is running? Run AS SSD and if the results are good, relax and enjoy.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

The status menu only shows when the optimizer was last run, not when trim was last run.

AS SSD shows normal performance, just the shut down times are unusually long, 3 times as long as if I run the toolbox.

are you saying TRIM isn't supported in the new iaStor? I thought the new one was suppose to finally support it. Maybe there are more bugs that need to be worked out.

I do have system restore enabled, but it hasn't updated since first install. I have just disabled it as I always do, just forgot to this time at install.

The reason I'm conerned about TRIM is because I thought it was manatory for SSDs to function properly or at least to give them longer lasting life and maintain their speed. Since I'm losing speed and the toolbox has taken an abnormal amount of time to run I just assume TRIM is the issue since it is such a new technology.

-=Mark=-

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Running the optimizer is running TRIM.

I don't know what iaStor driver you are talking about, but I did think you were using the msahci driver--and that runs TRIM automatically.

Lots of System Restore points can make running TRIM (optimizer) slow, and that was reported to you previously. When you use the msahci driver, there is no need to run optimizer from SSD Toolbox.

You previously reported "normal" speeds, so I don't know what you have going now. Why don't you post a picture of an AS SSD result? What shutdown are you talking about? Computer shutdown?

Do you have System Restore points accumulated? If you do, delete them and see if that helps. Since you disabled System Restore, what method are you using for backing up in case of disaster?

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

iaStor that comes with the newer RST that replaces IMSM. The new version is 9.6.0.1014. I was wondering how well it works. I've a lot of users saying they have speed loss, while others say it's about the same. I see people saying it supports single drives in raid mode, so I assume it support single drives in ahci mode.

I did have system restore on, but my speeds were fine. Just the very long shut down times. Yes, I mean shutting the computer completely off. ie click Windows Start Button --> Shut Down

Apparently toolbox needs to be ran with ahci driver because it fixes my slow shut down times and returns to a 4second shut down. It may be related to system restore. Since I have disabled it, I will post my results if it is cured after it has been running a while.

as for backup, I usually don't have much to save. I do have multiple hard drive setup so I usually just copy/save important stuff to my designated hard drive that I absolutely need to have.

-=Mark=-

Here's a pic of my AS SSD benchmark I just now ran after the toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What are you concerned about? The AS SSD result is excellent! Your benchmark speeds are great!

You should be running in AHCI with AHCI driver and so what is the problem? You do not need to run optimizer from Toolbox when using msahci driver.

Look, your AS SSD scores are fine, so why mess around? Do you want to take a chance and create a problem? Lose speed, same speed, maybe better speed, why take a chance?