cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25MG2 160GB really slow.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have had this drive for a couple of months and it has been working great. My little issue is shutting down the system. It takes appox. 12 seconds to shut down. It usually only take about 4 seconds to shut down after running the toolbox, which I assumes forces a trim command.

anyway, I used to run the toolbox in about 1.5 minutes when doing it weekly, but I decided to let it run for a few wekks to see how trim work on it by itself.

well, after 3 weeks it still takes 12 seconds to shut down, but after running the toolbox last night, it took 5.5 minutes ths times and acts like maybe trim hasn't been work at all?

Is there a way to monitor trim and how often it is run? Last time it has ran?

when I installed windows it was in ide mode and a registry tweek to enable ahci and a bios setting has worked so far. I was told trim still works in IDE mode, but it acts like it's off. I checked with dos commands and trim is turned on.

I run as ssd and it reports normal speeds as compared to others on this site. It runs very well all around, just the inconsistant shut down bothers me.

-=Mark=-

I'm using win 7 ult. x64, ich10, ahci mode, msachi drivers, x58 mothrboard.

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Mark,

I don't think TRIM is working at all in your config. It should not take 1.5 mins to run TRIM manually. it should take anywhere from 0 to maybe a second or two, and I think that's just the program delay itself.

I've been using an X25-M drive for a good 5 weeks, and the tool does literally nothing (as expected) if you run a manual TRIM. That is, it runs, 0->100% pretty much instantly. My config: Win 7 Pro x64, ICH9R in AHCI, using msahci (default) driver.

On my box behind me which I am testing, I have an X25-V with Vista on it. If I do a lot of disk activity (copying, moving, deleting, uninstalling etc.), there is delay as the tool runs, so I know that this is what it really takes when doing a manual TRIM, hence I know that TRIM is working on my win7 computer.

FYI, normal shutdown here is about 4-5 seconds. haven't timed it, but that's my guess, and it hasn't changed.

My guess is that your installation as IDE mode is at fault, and you may want to look at the command to see if windows is issuing TRIM command from filesystem (can't remember off the top of my head). Worst case, a reinstall might be needed.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The "fsutil behavior query|set DisableDeleteNotify" command is on by default and means Windows 7 is sending the TRIM command, but it does not mean the TRIM command is passing through to your SSD; for example. if you are using RAID, TRIM will not work. There are a number of issues listed in the Read Me of why TRIM would not work; one such issue is not having Disk Defragmenter disabled or turned off. Since you have "normal" speeds running AS SSD, TRIM appears to be working.

You can see the last time TRIM was run under Intel SSD Management Tools>Status--shown in Intel SSD Toolbox.

The length of time it takes your computer to shut down is way too long, and I don't think it has anything to do with TRIM. I suggest you do a reinstall of Windows 7 with BIOS set to AHCI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The SSD Optimizer on my system was taking 4hrs to run. The problem was my restore points in system restore. The more you have, the longer it takes. I deleted them and it ran in under a second.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You can also disable system restore and use a second SSD or HDD for backing up periodically. You can also disable Hibernation and save space.