cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M 2.5" Latching SATA Connector?

MBuda
New Contributor

Does anyone know if the X25-M drives contain the proper connectors to latch with locking SATA cables? Since this drive is useful for high shock and vibration applications (solid state after all), we need to use the locking type cables with them. I poured through the data specifications and didn't see any reference to latching connectors. Many competitive products have them.........

20 REPLIES 20

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I haven't seen G1 drive connections, but I don't see why a drive that uses standard drive connection cannot use latching connectors as the ones I linked to above. You should check this out by buying one of those very inexpensive latching connectors before giving up. Every drive I've had that used standard connectors also used latching connectors as I showed in the link above.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I contacted a retailer who sells the SATA latching cables and was told they do work with G1 drives. You can contact them as well if you need further confirmation. All SATA drives use the same type of connection and I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34_348_353 http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34_348_353

MBuda
New Contributor

Thanks for your message. I want to make sure we are on the same page - it's not that I want the connector to just work with the drive, I need it to latch! The locking cables that you reference, will function with both latching and non-latching mates (on drives). But, if the drive doesn't have the two little holes for the latching cable to engage with, then the cable will not be as secure. In fact, the SLC drive that I got at the end of last year will not "lock" with a latching cable as you have shown (I have many of them). From the other post, it appears that the MLC version of the drives have the correct latching connectors.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I understand and we are on the same page. I contacted the retailer as stated above and was told they work with all SATA drives--and that is all I know. As I stated above, you can contact the retailer for further confirmation, unless you are positive it doesn't work.

People just don't buy latching cables unless they intend to use them as such. When I asked the retailer if they work with Intel SSD G1 drives, I was told they do.

mb50309 wrote:

Thanks for your message. I want to make sure we are on the same page - it's not that I want the connector to just work with the drive, I need it to latch! The locking cables that you reference, will function with both latching and non-latching mates (on drives). But, if the drive doesn't have the two little holes for the latching cable to engage with, then the cable will not be as secure. In fact, the SLC drive that I got at the end of last year will not "lock" with a latching cable as you have shown (I have many of them). From the other post, it appears that the MLC version of the drives have the correct latching connectors.

no, g1 x25-m's will also NOT lock with latch-type cables.