cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M 80GB-Possible upgrade?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My X25-M 80GB SSD was purchased in March of 2010. It is starting to fail on me after performing great for all this time. Constant blue screens and Windows prompts me to perform a back up and tells me that the drive is going to fail soon. I contacted Intel and they are going to replace it for me since its still under warranty. I no longer have the box that it came in. Will they still replace it? I have proof of purchase from Newegg. Also, since this drive is an older model that is no longer being produced or sold on Newegg(shows as deactivated), will Intel be shipping me a newer model of this drive? A SATA 6.0Gbps SSD perhaps?? Thanks for any information in this matter!

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks again for the info! I will run the SSD diagnostic toolkit like you have suggested. This drive has never given me problems till now. I thought it was odd that it started failing out of nowhere. I have plenty of spare SATA cables since I'm always building PC's at work. Thanks!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I ran the Intel SSD toolbox like you suggested but it said it could not READ the drive and to try it in a compatible driver. I was able to use Speedfan and get the SMART data from there. I took a screenshot.

Interesting. Attribute 233 (0xe9) is the Media Wearout Indicator and a value of 99 is normal for a two year old drive that has seen some action as an OS/application drive.

The End To End Error Count is clearly the issue. That could be caused by a bad electrical connection between the drive and mainboard. Have you tried another sata cable and/or connecting it to another controller port?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I took the drive in to work with me this morning and connected it to a brand new ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 motherboard with new SATA cables. As soon as I powered on the computer it stopped mid POST and states,

SATA Port 1 :Intel SSDSA2M080G2GC

S.M.A.R.T Status Bad, Backup and Replace.

Press F1 to Run SETUP

I booted the system into a Ghost boot CD and used our Ghost cast server to put a fresh, working Windows 7 64bit Pro image on the SSD. Once the imaging was complete, I rebooted and got the same SMART warning as above. I forced the system to boot the SSD from the BIOS and was able to start up Windows. I then downloaded and installed the Intel toolbox and got the SMART data CSV file and took a screenshot.

The parts in this computer at work are all brand new and confirmed working. I have another SSD from a different manufacturer that works in the system just fine. Been running benchmarks all week and stress testing the system. I know I already have the RMA process going and the Intel drive needs to be replaced, but it's odd how it now decides to fail after all this time. I wonder what caused the fail?

Message was edited by: Phil Anderson

Message was edited by: Phil Anderson

Johnny_Y_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Just contact Intel and provide what you found about this SSD, you should get a same X-25M 80GB unit soon