cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M 80GB-Possible upgrade?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My X25-M 80GB SSD was purchased in March of 2010. It is starting to fail on me after performing great for all this time. Constant blue screens and Windows prompts me to perform a back up and tells me that the drive is going to fail soon. I contacted Intel and they are going to replace it for me since its still under warranty. I no longer have the box that it came in. Will they still replace it? I have proof of purchase from Newegg. Also, since this drive is an older model that is no longer being produced or sold on Newegg(shows as deactivated), will Intel be shipping me a newer model of this drive? A SATA 6.0Gbps SSD perhaps?? Thanks for any information in this matter!

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just checked the website (Intel) and my model of SSD has reached EOL. I would think that an upgrade to a better model would be the best solution for this warranty replacement. The 520 series 120gb SATA III is only $179.00 and I paid $200 for my X25-M 80GB when it was released. I hear the newer models have a 5 year warranty now as well. I would be a real happy customer if Intel upgraded me to a better, more reliable SSD. Thanks!

UHans
Contributor

The original packaging shouldn't be needed to get an RMA. The proof of purchase and the drive itself is what counts.

Regarding the replacement: The 320 series of drives are the current functional equivalents of the old X25-Ms (same controller), so that is probably what you will get if they don't have X25-m spares in stock.

Don't get your hopes up regarding the replacement capacity versus cost then and now. It's the function (capacity and speed) of the failed drive that dictates the replacement specs, not the price at the time of purchase. In other words, even if you paid $200 for your 80GB X25-M, you will get another equivalent 80GB drive even if the current drive only costs $140. That is only fair.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the info! Like my momma always said, "It never hurts to ask!" I would be happy if they at least upgraded me to the 320 series. Are those more reliable than the X25-M's?

You're welcome.

Regarding whether the 320 Series are more reliable than the X25-Ms: In theory, yes. The 320s have an enhanced version of Intel's data protection XOR algorithm that allows more flash memory cells to fail without loosing data and a capacitor that can supply power to the drive long enough to write uncommitted data in the drive's buffer to the flash in case of an external power outage.

But there are also some reports (browse this forum) of a type of failure (the "8MB bug") of some 320 that the X25-Ms didn't seem to have, so YMMV. The X25-M wasn't known as an unreliable drive, quite the opposite compared to contemporary SSDs, so you must just have had some bad luck with yours.

Employ a sensible data backup strategy (no matter what drive you use) and don't worry too much about the risk of drive failure. I own and use multiple versions of both the X25-Ms and the 320s and have never had a failure.

BTW, you should run a Intel SSD toolkit diagnostic and check/post the s.m.a.r.t. data and media wearout indicator before you send off the old drive, so you can get an idea of what may be the cause for the seemingly early death of your drive. When you get the new drive, change the sata cable as well just to rule out a bad connection. The cables are dirt cheap anyway.