cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M G2 - Raid Problem

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Installed W7 64 bit on this new disk a week ago. It has firmware 02HA. I have a dual boot system with Vista x86 on Raid 0 and W7 64 bit on this SSD. When trying to run the toolbox it says "Raid Not Supported".

I have nVidia Chipset 680i. In the Device Manager, under IDE/ATAPI Controllers, I have a Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller and under Storage Controllers, I have 1 nVidia nForce RAID Controller och 3 nVidia nForce Serial ATA Controllers. Under Disk Drives the SSD reports itself as a "INTEL SS DSA2M160G2GC SCSI Disk Device".

What shall I do, send the SSD back?

14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The problem of all disks being treated by the OS as Raid disks is also common to Intel motherboards.

One way to get around this is to use the separate on-board two-channel Sata controller--non-nvidia--for either the SSD or the Raid array.

A potentially better solution has recently been posted in this thread--

/message/80958# 80958 Will Toolbox work without AHCI?

Gives you a Sata 3.0 two-chnanel controller independent of the on-board controllers, and is inexpensive. ASUS is bundling this add-in controller to some current motherboards and selling them as Sata 3.0 capable.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Below is my first nForce SATA Controller. The other two are running my DVD players.

It seems this controller is running both the SSD and the Raid array. I guess this is the problem. If it was possible to separate them...

Maybe I have to get a PCI card as suggested.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Today the SSD died. When trying to start, it gave me a BSOD and startup repair did not work, neither from disk nor DVD. Entered Vista (on the Raid disks) and it took forever to load and started with a one minute black screen until graphics driver loaded. Parity errors en masse in Device Manager. Removed the SSD and now Vista starts nicely.

So, what do you think, do I have a dead SSD on my hands? Any advice on next step?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Got it back up again with checkdisk from laptop. I wonder if this could have been related to the firmware? The disk was not visible from a DVD startup in the laptop, but checkdisk could be run.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the tip about the U2S6 card. My SSD died but I did not give up but got another one. Installed it on the U3S6 card and it works fine.