Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

X25-M G2 Update failed, reboot, says firmware already updated

I tried to update the FW and it failed, saying I should boot up in legacy IDE mode (I'm using ahci). I rebooted in IDE mode, and then when it came to updating the firmware, it said the firmware was already updated. Anyone else have this problem?

0 Kudos
42 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Exactly the same situation with me. How can I tell if it was actually updated now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I had exactly the same issue.

Both the firmware update tool and speedfan are reporting the correct firmware version, but I'm not convinced that the actual firmware on the drive corresponds to the version number that is being reported. I didn't see anything during the supposed update process that suggests it actually occured.

I can't verify the correct firmware by testing trim, since I'm running in RAID mode through bios, and the SSD toolbox hasn't been re-released.

I have emailed intel support - see what they say.

Highlighted
Community Manager

I too encountered the same thing. And I saw no difference in benchmarks after upgrade. It's like the upgrade never happened. But firmware now says it's 02HD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

These bloody Intel people, don't tTX20Q0hey test anything upfront?

I'm gonna try this first thing when I get home tonight!

Highlighted
Community Manager

I can still interact normally with my drive. I can read, write, and format. So at least that is good. Performance-wise it is at 225 read and 108 write.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I wish I had benchmarked my drive before attempting to upgrade.

I'm getting 255 read and 87 write on a G2 80GB.

Do those numbers suggest the upgrade was successful?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Tried checking FW revision with some diagnostic utility like Everest or HDD tool?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

CrystalDiskInfo, intel firmware update tool and speedfan are all reporting the latest firmware - but I can't see how the latest firmware could be on my drive if the update program didn't put it on!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This happened to me as well. I have a brand new 160g and updated through AHCI and got the update didn't complete, went back a 2nd time (in IDE) and said it couldn't update cause it had the latest firmware. I don't think I'll be worrying about it. Speeds seems right and when I looked at CrystalDiskInfo where all the SMART info is, TRIM is not greyed out so that means it's good. Maybe another way to see is if you have the INTEL SSD Toolbox and see if it will run.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

3DMG, what is your performance in crystal disk mark?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This also happened to me, tried to update in ahci mode, failed, rebooted in normal mode and it says the update is already installed...

When I got back to Windows (v7 x64) it tried to install new drivers, got a blue screen and now everytime I go back to Windows the performance is really bad, it takes ages to do anything... Maybe I'll need to format it :|

Highlighted
Community Manager

If diagnostics are showing the correct firmware, write speeds are up on 160GB models, and TRIM is working (if updating from a version older than 02HA) then it looks like the update was indeed successful. Sounds like the updater may be incorrectly reporting a failed upgrade? Did you see any activity indicating a firmware flash in progress? Going to update two drives tonight. One from 02HA and a new drive which presumably will have an older firmware. Last time the update worked in AHCI mode but be interesting to see if I run into the same problem.

When I got back to Windows (v7 x64) it tried to install new drivers, got a blue screen and now everytime I go back to Windows the performance is really bad

Did you have to run the updater in a different controller mode from that which you normally use and forget to switch back before booting into Windows? The new driver installation suggests this might be the case and a BSOD is not unusual in these circumstances. Same goes from the performance hit. Not clear in your post but sounds like perhaps you've gone from using AHCI to IDE in Windows?

Highlighted
Community Manager

I also have this problem.

I still have the Intel SSD Toolbox installed so I ran that. It also reports the firmware as being 2CV102HD as does Crystal Disk Info.

When I tried to run the SSD management tools it reports the drive status as passed and as ready for use. When I run it though it fails saying "Error creating Intel Optimizer SSD files on the selected drive".

Highlighted
Community Manager

This is a little off topic of this thread but I just enabled AHCI on my computer and my crystal mark disk scores are a hell of a lot better! Some people were saying this doesn't make that much of a difference, but as far as benchmarking goes, it really does.

Highlighted
Community Manager

MeY-ZiNG: After the FW update, did you switched back to the controler mode you had (when windows got installed), before you booted into windows?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Mr.Wolf wrote:

MeY-ZiNG: After the FW update, did you switched back to the controler mode you had (when windows got installed), before you booted into windows?

Yes, immediately after seeing the message saying that the firmware was already updated (before going back to Windows). I'll try to figure out what's wrong tonight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have a G1, not a G2, but I believe the process is the same regardless.

On my system, the CD drivers included in their ISOs do not work in AHCI mode, and it doesn't detect my drive as being an Intel SSD in IDE mode.

The workaround I did was to create a bootable SD Card and put the .exe for the flasher on there. Then booted to the SD Card with BIOS set to AHCI mode and flashed. I also conveniently have HDDERASE.EXE on the same card, although that requires IDE mode.

I recommend this utility for making a bootable flash card:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197 http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

(have to check "Create DOS Startup Disk" and specify the location you unzipped the linked win98 dos system files)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Here's benchy for my G2 160gig. This was a brand new 02G9 firmware updated to 02HD (but with the issue stated eariler). No windows 7 installed before updating. Updated using ACHI (got the not complete redo with IDE which I did, but said it was already updated) and installed windows 7 ult 64bit using ACHI. I'm happy with it. I say it works since trim is not greyed out. Also writes speeds were supposedly only max 80mb with 02G9 firmware. I'm getting a max of 112mb with only 26gigs used with 02HD firmware.

Shuttle xpc p35pro

Processor q6600

Ram 8 gigs

Harddrive: Intel SSD 160g2 (Main), 2x Samsung HD103SJ 1TB

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Same problem here, with a Gigabyte motherboard in AHCI + Legacy IDE mode, Intel Core2Duo processor