cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M + ICH9R + AHCI = No Post

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an Asus x38 Maximus Formula mboard, flashed to the latest bios (1403). With the X25-M plugged in, if I set it to AHCI in the BIOS, it hangs while detecting the SATA port. If I set it to RAID, it doesn't even POST. If I unplug it and then POST and set it to IDE, plug it back in, then works just fine (Win7 x64).

I'd love to have it in AHCI mode so I can hot-plug my external SATA drive for backups.

Is this a drive/firmware issue or a mboard BIOS (ie Intel controller ROM)?

Are other people seeing this?

Connected to the SATA ports:

1 X25-M 80GB

1 150GB Raptor

1 WD 1TB Green

1 DVD burner

1 internal SATA drive cage for backups (normally unplugged)

1 eSATA for external usage (OCZ Throttle, etc)

So, I have a cable plugged into every slot, although only 4 are powered up at all times.

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a ASUS P5Q Deluxe (ICH10R) and an X25-M(G2R5). I installed the firmware first, it was in IDE mode because I had reset the bios (I did not even think about what mode the motherbaoed was in). I then installed Win 7 x64 Ultimate in ACHI mode with not problems. I also ran the SSD ToolBox, it took about a half hour. So, I am wondering why some people are having problems and others not?? I have two old HD's for data and backup.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I had the same problem and will review the steps that I believe got me there and the solution that worked for me.

What caused my problem:

1) Brand new computer (including X25-M) installed Win 7 via IDE.

2) Installed Win 7 again, this time using AHCI.

3) Installed Win 7 again using AHCI and during the first restart of installation got the hanging and the bios would not POST.

I noticed that with each Win 7 install via AHCI, a 0KB partition was created, so after step # 3 from above I had a total of 4 partitions (100MB system, 150GB, and 2 x 0KB unknown partitions). I believe the 2nd unknown partition was causing the problem.

My solution:

1) Reset BIOS to IDE and boot into the Win 7 installation disk.

2) Deleted all partitions, resulting in an unallocated partition of 150GB.

3) Quit the installer.

4) Changed the BIOS to AHCI and boot the Win 7 installation disk.

5) Install succesful!

Hope this helps people, it saved me from an RMA of a perfectly good drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've sucessfully installed my X25-M on an MSI X48 board which has ICH9R with ACHI enabled. Not experienced any POST problems or partitions.

The way in which I installed Windows 7 was to put the latest RST driver on a pen drive and selected "Load Driver" on the Windows 7 select disk to install dialogue box. Point in the direction of the pen drive and select the ICH9R controller (iastor). This will load the correct AHCI (iastor) driver from the first reboot.

Owen

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same issue as gbohu but using Windows Backup and Restore utility, you can read my post here:

/thread/13056 http://communities.intel.com/thread/13056

Has anybody found out what is causing this problem...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same issue, except that I've been using the drive with AHCI for a little over a month. I needed to pave my system, started the win7 install after the first reboot the system is locked at Auto Detect AHCI Port 1.

I tried changing to IDE, and was able to get into Win7's install and remove the partitions. Changed back to AHCI, still hangs.

Keep in mind this drive has been working perfectly under AHCI for over a month. Unfortunately, it is just over a month. Can't replace it with newegg.

Just a note, my mechanical HD and DVD work just fine under AHCI. System only hangs, (can't post), with the SSD attached and AHCI mode set.