cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M SSD Performance Question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I recently installed an X25-M SSD in my system and although the Windows Experience Index rates it a 7.7 and CrystalDiskMark shows very good read/write speeds for this drive, I seem to be having issues with it while playing games. While running Fraps in my background I have been experiencing FPS spikes and freezes at certain times on a very non-demanding game that only uses a single core of the processor. I used to run this same game with a Western Digital Caviar Black Sata 6gb/s and had never experienced this kind of shakyness. I have installed the proper drivers for the video card and it just seems convenient that this started occuring when I installed this hard drive into my system.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS p7p55d-e

CPU: Intel Core i7 860@ 2.8 GHz

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4870

RAM: Patriot Sector 5 Series DDR3 4GB

Primary HD: INtel X25-M 80GB (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Secondary HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB SATAIII (Windows 7 Ultimate, still has an operating system since it used to be my only HD)

I checked the firmware using the firmware upgrade tool and it is up to date. The drive was set in AHCI mode when I installed the operating system because I read about people getting better performance rather than IDE. Any feedback is appreciated.

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I took a screenshot of my mobo because I really am not that computer savy. I'm trying to look to see if theres any indication on the board of which ports would be Jmicron and which would be intel. Do you know how to discriminate between the two?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The blue ones should be the Intel ports. The JMicorn port is the black one marked SATA_E1.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yea I just checked the manual to make sure. The ssd is plugged into an intel port for sure.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is it odd that the read/write speeds vary in a range from 5-10 mb/s for successive tests in the benchmark program. Should there be a variance like that?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's normal that slight variations would occur from benchmark to benchmark but that does not explain your 4k or access times. I don't know what else to suggest other than make sure the motherboard has the latest bios version. You should be getting much better performance on that motherboard.

Hopefully someone else will chip in with some suggestions.