cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-V 80GB Models

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

my favorite online shop has X25-V 80 and 160 GB models avvailable.

These are not mentioned on the Intel website. What's up with these models and do they use 25nm chips (G3) or 34nm (G2)?

What will be the difference between an X25-M 80GB drive and the X25-V 80GB drive?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So, my retailer answered, telling me that these are indeed V-Series 80 and 160 GB drives, only available since today and they are currently the only retailer in Germany selling them.

I still wonder how they can sell something that Intel itself doesn't admit producing, but hey, maybe they have a timemachine.

And yeah, the specs are the same as for the M-series, so I really wonder where the difference lies.

Hello, knock, knock, anyone from Intel Corp. reading these forums?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's likely that the Intel people reading these forums are busy at the Intel Developers' Forum.

I suspect that the retailer has misunderstood. They list "Intel X-25-V Postville 160GB". Several issues there that make the listing seem off.

1. Intel does not include internal codenames (like Postville) in product listings. So clearly the retailer added that string.

2. According to leaked SSD roadmap documents floating around on the internet, the upcoming drives with the 25nm Nand are called "Postville-Refresh". So I would expect to see that codename in the listing if it was the next-gen drives.

3. The listing shows the drive with the same specs and also the same price as other "mainstream" 80GB and 160GB SSDs. There's nothing "value" about it.

If I was guessing, I wonder if the retailer received the 1.8 inch form factor drives (technically, the X-18M G2) and simply mislabeled them in the web listing. These drives have the same performance specs as the more popular 2.5 inch variety, but have been generally more difficult to find.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This article claims the G3 is delayed until Feb 2011 and that in the interim a new G2 model will come out.

http://www.nordichardware.se/nyheter/86-lagring/41160-intel-skjuter-pa-25nm-ssd-enheter-till-februar...

No mention of the G3 at IDF.

Newegg is showing out of stock or sold out for the popular models.

There are speculations that the G3 will be about price not performance and others that it will be about performance.

Oh the suspense.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey wacko,

Your retailer is mistaken. No 80GB or 160GB Value drives currently are for sale. Thanks!

Scott, Intel Corporation