cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25m 80GB READ is slow

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I´ve a problem with my new SSD - the drive is up to date with the new 02HD Firmware, but my Read is too slow. Some hints for me.

Here is my system http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635688&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

thanks in advance

AS SSD Benchmark 1.4.3645.3568

------------------------------Name: INTEL SS DSA2M080G2GC SATA Disk DeviceFirmware: 2CV1Controller: amdsataOffset: 1024 K - OKGröße: 74,53 GBDatum: 28.01.2010 21:08:57------------------------------Sequentiell:------------------------------Lesen: 154,30 MB/sSchreiben: 78,52 MB/s------------------------------4K:------------------------------Lesen: 6,80 MB/sSchreiben: 8,21 MB/s------------------------------4K-64Threads:------------------------------Lesen: 78,31 MB/sSchreiben: 48,47 MB/s------------------------------Zugriffszeiten:------------------------------Lesen: 0,289 msSchreiben: 0,443 ms------------------------------Score:------------------------------Lesen: 101Schreiben: 65Gesamt: 215------------------------------
34 REPLIES 34

MBall5
Contributor

Hello, if you believe that your Solid State Drive is not working properly or reading in a good speed I will suggest installing the operating system in the AHCI option in the BIOS, here is why:

AHCI is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with SATA drives. To make that transaction smoother, SATA devices were initially designed to handle legacy ATA commands so they could look and act like PATA devices. That is why many motherboards have "legacy" or IDE modes for SATA devices – in that case users are not required to provide additional drivers during OS installation. However, Windows 7 ships with AHCI drivers built in, so soon this mode will no longer be necessary.

But this begs the question: what features does AHCI mode enable? The answer isn't simple, but one of the bigger advantages is NCQ, or native command queuing.

NCQ is a technology that allows hard drives to internally optimize the order of the commands they receive in order to increase their performance. In an SSD everything is different. There is no need to optimize the command queue, but the result of enabling NCQ is the same – there is a performance increase. In brief, NCQ in an Intel SSD enables concurrency in the drive so that up to 32 commands can be executed in parallel.

Also take into consideration that the speed of the processor and the RAM also the amount of it will affect the performance of the Solid State Drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same problem. I used to love my X-25M, now I'm thinking I have to rip it out and put in a conventional spinning platter as this Intel product is.... not nice. My system used to boot in seconds and now it's as slow as a hard drive PC.

I ran AS SSD and you can see the results here: http://tinypic.com/r/2s6szgw/7

That's not a typo, this INTEL SSD is SLOW, 2-5 MB per second for writing

This is a gen 1 device so no, the toolbox won't run TRIM on it.

I have it running on AHCI already, always has been.

I checked and I have the most recent firmware.

It's been in service about a year, that's less than the lifespan Intel advertised but it seems like others are having the same problem too.

Can anything be done to recover speed on the Gen 1 devices? I can't run TRIM, is there anything else that can clean up the blocks?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hmm, I was wrong, I DON'T have AHCI enabled. I enabled it in Windows 7 then went and turned it on in BIOS and the system complained that it didn't have bootable media.

Can Gen 1 do AHCI? Is it advised?

Do I need to put my Gen 1 device physically on the first SATA cable to make it boot in AHCI?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III