cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 SMART not enable

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

Just installed a new system with a gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 mobo and a Intel 520 SSD.

My SSD toolbox won't run the optimizer and also says that SMART is disable.

I can't see anything about SMART in the BIOS.

How do I get this running?

Best regards

Mic

22 REPLIES 22

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My 520 disk is connected to the SATA3 port controlled by the Intel chipset. I don't use the Marvel controller.

Bios is set to AHCI. The SSD Toolbox works perfect until I install the IRSTe ( Enterprise ) driver, as long I'm running with the standard Windows 7 driver there's no problem.

I've tried to install the normal IRST ( non enterprise ) but this is not allowed on the X79 motherboard.

After installing IRSTe the SSD drive is seen as a SCSI drive instead of a IDE and therefore no longer supported by the Toolbox.

So Intel has a problem here.

DShar11
New Contributor II

This has been an issue since day one with the 520 series.

I think they will be dropping these E drivers all together, they seem to bring nothing but issues to the table.

I load the 11 series IRST driver thru the device manager, this gives me IRST driver with FULL Intel toolbox functionality. Ha Ha Intel, got around your silly E driver, and much better performance also, geeze who would not want that.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Dave: Are you also using a X79 board?

Which driver exactly did you download?

I've tested this one which works quite well.

/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20913&keyword= AHCI: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20913&ProdId=2101&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20913&ProdId=2101&lang=eng

File name:f6flpy-x64_11.0.0.1032.zipVersion:11.0.0.1032

And then manually selecting this one:

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

DShar11
New Contributor II

Yes, I am on an Asus RIVE X79, love it.

I am running the 11 series driver, the same one you linked to, just a little bit of a procedure you need to go through to get it to load.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard (X79) and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I was getting the same problem... the toolbox did not identify my Intel 520 drive with the Intel RST enterprise (RSTe) even with the updated driver 3.0.0.2003 (RSTe_V3002003_XPWin7) and software that I downloaded from the ASUS site. The drive said "Unknown 240GB", S.M.A.R.T. was not enabled (the SMART Summary said it could not report anything because SMART was disabled), and I couldn't run the optimizer. Plus I was also getting really poor performance, and system hangs under heavy load (with 4 threads copying files to the drive, or deleting files from the drive, anything needing to touch the drive would freeze for 10-30 seconds at a time). And the performance was only about half of what it should have been under normal usage (it was slower than a 7,200 RPM WD black drive for my software builds).

So, after reading this article, I upgraded to the 11.0.0.1032 by going to the Device Manager -> Storage controllers -> Intel... and updated it from the link above. I installed from the f6flpy-x64_11.0.0.1032 archive, from the iaAHCI.inf file, and selected the "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" and it installed correctly. After rebooting the toolbox works great and the drive performance was better... still a few hangs but only for a second or less at a time. However, now my Intel RSTe software no longer works. I get an error message from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (RSTe) program IAStoreUI.exe:

Window Title: Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise

Error Message: An unknown error occurred while running this application. If the problem persists, please restart your computer or try reinstalling the application.

I'm guessing this is because the RST enterprise (or RSTe) software is not compatible with the regular (non-enterprise) RST 11.0.0.1032 drivers. However, when I try to run the software install to install the regular RST software, STOR_Vista_Win7_11.0.0.1032_PV, I get an error message from Setup.exe:

Window Title: Error

Error Message: This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

So, it appears I have my choice of having either the Intel RSTe drivers and software that works but with really poor performance and no toolbox, or use the RST 11 drivers and have the toolbox work and good performance but the RST software not working.

Thoughts?

I would hoping we will either get a version of the RST 11 drivers that work with the X79, or they'll port all the fixes/changes from the 11 drivers over to the RSTe drivers. Does anyone from Intel have an idea on what the plan is? The RSTe 3.0.0.2003 drivers are really unusable in their current state... makes the SSD slower than a traditional hard drives and those 10-30 freezes are unbearable: we all know Windows is really bad when the drive freezes (lots of programs just hang up and don't respond to anything while the drive is hung).

-J.C.