cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 SMART not enable

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

Just installed a new system with a gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 mobo and a Intel 520 SSD.

My SSD toolbox won't run the optimizer and also says that SMART is disable.

I can't see anything about SMART in the BIOS.

How do I get this running?

Best regards

Mic

22 REPLIES 22

DShar11
New Contributor II

You are 100% correct sir, you have to choose whcih you want, Intel says we cannot have both working at the same time, at least not yet, lol.

But with performance so much better with the 11 series it's no contest really. When I rarely need to do something with the IRST CP I just reinstall the E driver, do what I must and then go back to the 11 series.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well I was skeptical and more cautious than need be by waiting to load the V11 drivers. While I am pleased the drivers information shared works well I am disappointed with Intel. It is a shame considering the research, time, and money spent before building my latest machine only to find to "almost" make it work as advertised a workaround needed to be used. I appreciate many times we do what is needed to get the results we want, but really...Extreme board with server chipset top of line line hex core, latest 240GB drive and I need to roll back to a driver not even supported by Intel.

OK I'm done.

Thank you Dave, Parsec, and others for contributing to this thread and being patient with my reluctance.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How did you guys manage to install the 11.0.0.1032 driver?

I have a Gigabyte X79-UD5 board with an Intel 520 180GB SSD; and the

only drivers (Win 7 64 bit) I can install are the generic Windows driver (in

which SMART features are enabled and the toolbox works fine), and the

"Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" driver 3.1.0.1085 (from

April 24 2012) in which SMART is disabled.

If I point the device manager to the folder containing the 11.0.0.1032 driver, Windows

simply refuses to install it as an upgrade to either the generic windows

driver or the recent AHCI driver.

Any help much appreciated...

Ulvi

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You will get a warning message stating the device driver is not recommended because windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware and a question do you want to continue installing this driver? select yes and restart. Trust me it works. And if you want to change back let windows intall the driver automatically then restart

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't get the warning message; instead windows simply says "you already have the

best driver installed" (I'm paraphrasing), and refuses to install the update or give me the

option to decide what is best

Is there a way to overrride this behavior?

thx