cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X80 G2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a 80 Gig G2 hard drive in win 7 32 and 64 runs like a sata 1 max read speeds is 130, but i also did a fresh install of linux Ubuntu 10.04 and used its disk utility and it reads at 280 whatthe heck is going on with win 7

25 REPLIES 25

Mikehe,

When you say the driver version is 8.0.23, and it is an Intel driver, then this is an older version of driver. Do you have the iMSM tool loaded?(Check for Intel Matrix Storage Manager folder in Windows programs and open the iMSM console) If so, please check if drive is operating in SATA I mode only. Depending on how old the system is, and whether Acer enabled it or not, your PC may only support SATA I mode. One other thing: do you have any major background activity occuring, like virus scan or network backup or SW encryption, that may be impacting performance?

Regards,

Brady

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I do not see the iMSM program loaded

Mikehe,

I'd like to confirm that your system is actually running in SATA II mode in Windows. An easy way to do this is with the iMSM(or now Intel RST - Rapid Storage Technology) console. There are some other test tools that can tell you what mode your drive is operating in, but if you don't mind updating your Intel storage driver, then I'd recommend updating and installing the user console also. You can get the latest iMSM(RST) driver and manager console from http://www.intel.com www.intel.com.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipse... http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipse...

Once there, find the iMSM version of software that will work with your chipset. I suspect you can use version 8.9, so start there. Installing this will update your storage driver, so this could potentially alleviate whatever issue you are seeing just by updating the driver. Be aware that you are updating a driver, so take all the precautions to protect against a potential problem. If you install the Intel storage console, then I'll direct you to where to look for SATA operation mode.

Regards,

Brady

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

installed what you said and waiting for further instructions.

Mikehe,

Depending on what version of the console you have loaded, the way to check what SATA mode you are operating in is to open the Intel the console by going to Start, then Programs, then open the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" or "Intel" folder, and then open the executable in that folder. This should bring up a storage management console. If it is iMSM console, then go to view pulldown and choose advanced. If it is Intel RST, then click "Manage" button at top. Then choose your drive in the list, and look for SATA transfer mode.(You'll need to open "Advanced" for device settings in RST.) If it says Generation 1, then you're only operating at SATA I speeds, but Gen 2 is of course SATA 2. If you are operating in SATA 2, then we'll have to discuss more what could be slowing down your performance.

Regards,

Brady