cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP 64 - AHCI - toolbox issues..Any ideas on this solution ...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows XP sees my controllers as SCSI devices when I am in AHCI - therefore toolbox will not function. The ATTO scores are better in AHCI than IDE - especially the initial read and wwrite scores. Any issues that I might cause by running in AHCI and changing back to IDE via the bios about once a week to run toolbox, then back to AHCI?? This is for a x25-m 80gb.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My drives are seen as SCSI drives in the BIOS and the toolbox works just fine, is it Device Manager they say "SCSI device next to them"? although mine say SCSI in the BIOS only 1 drive connected to a JMicron Controller set to AHCI has "SCSI Device" next to it under Windows Device Manager, it may be why mine work and yours dont?

If it does cause a problem though you could change the controller to RAID if you dont need hot-swop on those ports. You can use single drives in a non-RAID on a SATA Controller set to RAID and the run in AHCI mode with all the benefits/performance of AHCI, the only thing you lose is Hot-Swop but you gain the option/flexibility to set up a RAID array if/when you choose, you may never use it but the options there if you ever do and you wont have a hassel due to the OS being installed in a non-RAID mode.

Also i want to make it clear that the Intel Toolbox optimization option will work on Intel drives connected as single drives (non-RAID drives) connected to a Controller set to RAID as again they operate in AHCI mode (minus hot-swop). My Intel Controller is set to RAID, I am using the latest intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and i have a single intel X-25M connected to it (alongw ith other drives, 2 of which are set up in a RAID 0), the Intel toolbox optimization option works just fine with the X-25M.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Device Manager shows SCSI - I will try setting up in raid instead of AHCI. I'm using an AMD chipset with AMD drivers, this might be the reason for the conflict??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It may be specific to the AMD SATA controller, the 3rd party JMicron SATA Controllers on my board set to RAID/AHCI seem to make the OS see them as SCSI drives.

let me know how it turns out.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Looks like I'm stuck with IDE. From what I have read, as XP doesn't have the AHCI drivers natively, my controllers will be recognizes as SCSI while in AHCI. Only about a 5% difference in speed anyway so I'm just going to run in IDE. Trying to find accurate information on any SSD related issue has been difficult, glad I finally found this source.