cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone having problems with SSD6 600p 512 GB failures? (x2 over 2 years)

BMacD1
New Contributor

I built a home PC in Jan 2017 with my 1st SSD on M.2 drive. Worked great till approx Jan 2018 when SSD6 600P 512 GB boot drive failed and I needed to rebuild windows 10 OS. Techs at shop had no explanation or ideas why and I had no prior warnings of pending failures. Everything works great again, till Jan 2019 when it failed again. No windows OS repair features helped. So I'm thinking about going back to standard SSD for boot up drive to improve reliability. Any feedback, ideas or suggestions?

If I install a new SSD (none m.2) for a more reliable boot drive, other than e-waste scrap, any ideas or uses for Intel 600P 512 GB boot M.2 SSD drive?

Also a recommendation for a reliable SSD brand would be welcome. I'm just a hobby techy retired guy, so it's just my home office PC (not a really heavy use for PC), but rebuilding my boot drive and reacquiring/setting up programs/Data from to 3 TB x2 drives etc, is getting tiresome every 12 months.

intel SSD6 600p 512 GB

ASUS Z170-A MB

intel i7 - 6700K processor

32 GB DDR4 2133 ram

6 GB Asus GTX 1060 VD card

Corsair H100i v2 Watercooler

850watt Gold power supply

Fractal Design - Define R5 (lots of fans)

2 x 3tb WD drives for data/programs

PS - thank goodnesss for QNAP 12 tb backup drive (3tb x 4)

15 REPLIES 15

Smart Export attached

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello BMacD1, Thank you for your reply. We were working on reviewing the SMART logs you provide us and we were not able to find any error or any critical warning. This being said your drive seems to be working as expected and our only advice is to install the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28447/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?product=80096) in order to keep an eye on the drive health and on the drive estimated life remaining. We would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

Thanks for the feedback. Know I'm stuck with the dilemma whether I should use the original Intel M.2 drive (which has possibly let me down twice) or use my new Samsung 1tb Evo 860 SSD boot drive? Will a full copy of all content of my new SSD (new boot drive) back to m. 2 (original boot drive) then rearranged boot order in BIOS work? Then use new Samsung SSD as "back up" boot drive in case I have a problem in the future. I know I might loose anything I add new to M.2 Intel drive, on backup Samsung boot drive. Does this work, or am I missing something.

Bruce

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello BMacD1, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello BMacD1, Thank you for your reply. Based on the configuration that you are describing we do not see any problem if you setup your BIOS and boot order properly. We will like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation