cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firmware iso 2.1.2 aborts execution with a mtrr error

ZPryk
New Contributor

I have a problem running the firmware 2.1.2 iso. When app is started it fails with a mtrr error while trying to run startx. I noticed one other individual has also identified a similar problem in this forum. What puzzles me is that iso versions 2.0.x worked flawlessly, but version 2.1.x introduced the mtrr error. The bare-bones system I use for updating firmware/hardware is dedicated to that function and has not changed since I put it to use. There is no HDD installed. Only peripheral is a CD/DVD drive. Looks some something changed in the iso OS between ver. 2.0 and 2.1 that is crashing startx execution on my system. The 2.0.x versions would bring up the graphic update screen whether an SSD was detected or not; the 2.1.x fails while attempting to launch the graphic update screen. I verified the mtrr problem is unique to the v2.1.x isos by running v2.0.13, and I get the expected TOA/Update screens. Any workarounds ??

22 REPLIES 22

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

zeppo,

Could you try performing the update using Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox? - Let us know if it fails as well.Since your SSD is a data center drive, have you also tried using the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool? Here is the link for you to get it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool

Once installed we need to run the command from CMD.

The Intel® SSD Data Center Tool uses CMD commands, in order for you to use the commands, you need to open the CMD window as administrator. Here is the command: C:\isdct> isdct.exe load –f –intelssd 0

Please let us know if you need anymore assistance.

ZPryk
New Contributor

Would like to comply but no Microsoft OS's available. PC's are all running Linux. Will try to borrow one, but may not be possible. Fm my perspective, the symptoms of the failed iso seem to point to some common hw 'incompatibility'. ISO 2.1.x did fail on two systems with different hw installed, different MBs and different BIOS. Last time I saw an 'Illegal Instruction' msg it was caused by incorrect compiler option selection during kernel/library compilation. Runtime failures seem to occur at the point where the video driver is being activated; screen flashes, process aborts. When I've encountered this problem before, it was because the video driver was inappropriate for the video hw. Just my two cents fm yrs of working with computers. Since the isos (2.0.x and 2.1.x) in question are based on the yocto dev environment somebody should be able to cross check the options that were changed and their possible side effects.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

zeppo,

We do have a version designed for Linux* OS. Please access the link informed previously and download the one under file name: DataCenterTool_3_0_0_Linux.zip the Intel DCT features a Command Line Interface (CLI) for both Windows* and Linux* but, it would be interesting to check on a Windows*-based computer to see if the same thing will happen.

ZPryk
New Contributor

Have run the linux cli isdct utility and successfully updated the SSDs. Did not try oout on a windows OS PC. Did try 2.1.2 iso on another barebones pc and was surprised to see it run without errors. My guess is that the iso is having problems with older video cards. The two PCs on which it failed have one thing in common, they have very old video cards (AMD and Nvidia). The PC on which the iso worked has a video card that is less than three yrs old. Thank you for yr help. The datacenter tool works very well and will be used for managing the SSD firmware updates.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

zeppo,

We are glad to know that it worked now. Do not hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance regarding your Intel® SSD and the Intel® tools to handle it.