Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZPryk
Beginner

firmware iso 2.1.2 aborts execution with a mtrr error

I have a problem running the firmware 2.1.2 iso. When app is started it fails with a mtrr error while trying to run startx. I noticed one other individual has also identified a similar problem in this forum. What puzzles me is that iso versions 2.0.x worked flawlessly, but version 2.1.x introduced the mtrr error. The bare-bones system I use for updating firmware/hardware is dedicated to that function and has not changed since I put it to use. There is no HDD installed. Only peripheral is a CD/DVD drive. Looks some something changed in the iso OS between ver. 2.0 and 2.1 that is crashing startx execution on my system. The 2.0.x versions would bring up the graphic update screen whether an SSD was detected or not; the 2.1.x fails while attempting to launch the graphic update screen. I verified the mtrr problem is unique to the v2.1.x isos by running v2.0.13, and I get the expected TOA/Update screens. Any workarounds ??

0 Kudos
22 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

zeppo,

We are going to check on this error with more details and will provide a reply to you soon. Let us know if you have any further questions.

idata
Community Manager

Hello zeppo,

Before we go any further, we were wondering if you could send us here a picture of the drive.

Could you please be so kind and try a firmware update by using the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox. For your convenience here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

Please let us know if you get the same error as well.
ZPryk
Beginner

At this time cannot provide picture of SSD. The mtrr error occurs whether the SSD is connected or not.The error does not require the SSD to be present. Also have no access to a windows OS to run Toolbox.The staging system on which the iso faults consists of Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 MB, 16GB ram, AMD Phenom II processor and Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 video card.

The following data comes off the SSD:

ISN:BTTV401405E7100FGN; SA:G62036-203; FW:5DV10266; PBA: G45364-201; LBA: 195,371,568;

CAN: ICES-3(B)/NMB-3(B); WWN: 55CD2E404B56044E

MODEL: SSDSC2BA100G3

Last successful update of SSD was with the 2.0.x iso. Since then all 2.1.x isos have failed with mtrr error.

idata
Community Manager

zeppo,

In order to provided addtional assistance regarding this issue. We would like to live troubleshoot this issue with you. Please check your email at your earliest convenience in order to proceed with our support.
idata
Community Manager

zeppo,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would like to know if you still need our assistance. As we informed previously, we would like to provide live asistance regarding your issue. Could you please be so kind and check your email inbox and reply from us from there at your earliest convenience?
ZPryk
Beginner

Have provided phone number and time as requested. Email was sent in reply to yr email on 1 May 2016 to mailto:supportreplies@intel.com supportreplies@intel.com. Still interested in yr assistance in tracking down reason for mtrr error in 2.1.x isos.

idata
Community Manager

zeppo,

Thank you for the reply. We have acknowledged your information. From now on, let's deal with this issue through the service ticket created.
ZPryk
Beginner

Pls pardon my oops. Will be awaiting yr call on 4 May 2016 at 2:00PM.

ZPryk
Beginner

Per telecon, 'copied' iso to flash drive. Booted flash drive and had same result. App failed to run as before from CD. Was able to try flash drive on another system w/different hw and had same result. I've provided a screen shot of the error msgs.

idata
Community Manager

zeppo,

Could you try performing the update using Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox? - Let us know if it fails as well.

Since your SSD is a data center drive, have you also tried using the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool? Here is the link for you to get it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool

Once installed we need to run the command from CMD.

The Intel® SSD Data Center Tool uses CMD commands, in order for you to use the commands, you need to open the CMD window as administrator. Here is the command: C:\isdct> isdct.exe load –f –intelssd 0

Please let us know if you need anymore assistance.

ZPryk
Beginner

Would like to comply but no Microsoft OS's available. PC's are all running Linux. Will try to borrow one, but may not be possible. Fm my perspective, the symptoms of the failed iso seem to point to some common hw 'incompatibility'. ISO 2.1.x did fail on two systems with different hw installed, different MBs and different BIOS. Last time I saw an 'Illegal Instruction' msg it was caused by incorrect compiler option selection during kernel/library compilation. Runtime failures seem to occur at the point where the video driver is being activated; screen flashes, process aborts. When I've encountered this problem before, it was because the video driver was inappropriate for the video hw. Just my two cents fm yrs of working with computers. Since the isos (2.0.x and 2.1.x) in question are based on the yocto dev environment somebody should be able to cross check the options that were changed and their possible side effects.

idata
Community Manager

zeppo,

We do have a version designed for Linux* OS. Please access the link informed previously and download the one under file name: DataCenterTool_3_0_0_Linux.zip the Intel DCT features a Command Line Interface (CLI) for both Windows* and Linux* but, it would be interesting to check on a Windows*-based computer to see if the same thing will happen.
ZPryk
Beginner

Have run the linux cli isdct utility and successfully updated the SSDs. Did not try oout on a windows OS PC. Did try 2.1.2 iso on another barebones pc and was surprised to see it run without errors. My guess is that the iso is having problems with older video cards. The two PCs on which it failed have one thing in common, they have very old video cards (AMD and Nvidia). The PC on which the iso worked has a video card that is less than three yrs old. Thank you for yr help. The datacenter tool works very well and will be used for managing the SSD firmware updates.

idata
Community Manager

zeppo,

We are glad to know that it worked now. Do not hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance regarding your Intel® SSD and the Intel® tools to handle it.
JHors3
Beginner

Dear Intel, It seems I have the same problem as follows "I'm trying to update the firmware on an original 80 Gb X25-M (fw = SCV102HD) using the Intel Firmware Update Utility extracted to a 16 Gb USB flashdrive. The computer is Windows 10 on a Fujitsu Lifebook S2210. On restart the Linux OS seems to load successfully and begin to access the utility and, for a brief moment, I begin to see the Intel Dialogue Screen, then back to Linux script (when I choose to display during boot) and then error and stop. I see the same stalled screen as depicted by Zeppo above. His suspicion about the display may be correct as I have such a machine. I have tried using your Windows utility but it seems to be unusable because I am running IDE mode and I don't seem to be able to change that on this machine. Any solution?

idata
Community Manager

JohnHorsfall,

Could you please provide the model number of this SSD?

JHors3
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It's an Intel X25-M 80Gb, Firmware 2CV102HD, Serial BTPO04410010080JGN

System is Fujitsu LifeBook S2210 using AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60

regards,

Dr John Horsfall

idata
Community Manager

JohnHorsfall,

Thank you for the info. We are going to check and get back to you soon.
idata
Community Manager

Hello JohnHorsfall,

We were wondering if you could try this drive in a different system in order to see if the issue occurs with an Intel® Processor in order to rule out any incompatibility issue.

Regards,

Aleki
idata
Community Manager

JohnHorsfall,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would like to know if you still need our assistance.

Best regards,

Aleki