How can I update the firmware for SSD DC P3700 (SSDPE2MD400G4) under ESXi 6.7 ?
on the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool page the information (release notes for 3.0.12 and 3.0.13) that it's only for ESXi 6.5, when I try to install and run it under 6.7 ("isdct show -intelssd") - I get "No result".
ESXi has "esxcli nvme device firmware download.." command, but I do not know where to get the firmware file and how (and whether it is necessary?) update the bootloader with this command.
The boot image (ISO) with firmware utility for DC P3700 I did not find.
on Intel® SSD Data Center Tool page information that the only way to update the firmware and bootloader - is to use Intel® SSD Data Center Tool.
now the firmware ("esxcli nvme device get -A vmhba1") 8DV10171.
Thank you for contacting our support community.
We understand your situation regarding the Firmware update regarding the Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series.
We would like to let you know that as per Intel® SSD Data Center Tool user guide the only supported versions of ESXi* are 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 so we can not confirm the full compatibility with the ESXi* version 6.7.
In order to better understand your issue, is the SSD connected directly to the motherboard? If not, we recommend you to connect the SSD directly to the motherboard. Otherwise, the tool will not be able to detect the SSD.
In case the SSD is connected directly to the motherboard, we recommend you to use one of the validated https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27863/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool?product=87278 operating systems for the Intel(R) DCT in order to update the firmware of the SSD:
Windows Server 2016*
Windows Server 2012 R2*
Windows Server 2012*
Windows Server 2008 R2*
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1*
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0*
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6*
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5*
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1*
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4*
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3*
Create a boot disk with winpe, booted from it and was updated. who is interested (created from windows):
1) get the boot disk with any supported windows install (I get iso with the trial version of windows server 2012 r2 from https://www.microsoft.com/ru-ru/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2 Microsoft Evaluation Center )
2) unpack \sources\boot.wim from iso
3) run with powershell (having previously created the empty directory Mount):
- "Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath .\Boot.wim"
- "Mount-WindowsImage -Path .\Mount -ImagePath .\Boot.wim -Index N" (N - from prev command result)
- "Add-WindowsDriver -Path .\Mount -Driver .\Nvme" (in the nvme directory I copied the files from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27517?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27517?v=t archive)
- "Dismount-WindowsImage -Path .\Mount -Save"
4) now we have boot.wim with nvme drivers (without these drivers isdct did not see my SSD)
5) copy boot.wim back to iso (via ultraiso, oscdimg or another utility)
6) also put to iso windows version of ISDCT ( from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27863/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool?product=79628 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27863/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool?product=79628 - we can install it and copy files from installed version or extract files directly from setup .exe - I extracted from setup via the FAR utility from https://farmanager.com/download.php https://farmanager.com/download.php)
7) boot from the this ISO (write it to DVD / USB or mount it as iso, depending on where the SSD is to be updated), when it show the first GUI screen for setting the installation language - don't choice "next", press Shift F10, go to DVD directory (letter E for me) and run isdct, successfully updated. Don't run isdct.exe directly from DVD, first copy all the files and subdirectory for isdct to the virtual disk created by winpe - I have this X letter. when try to run it directly from DVD - ISDCT can't change isdct_config.xml and terminate)
Hope, Intel will create a similar iso smaller, with the necessary drivers and utility and will officially post it for everyone