cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

howto tell if ssd is recognized as such

Ade_l12
New Contributor

I got an x25-e for my laptop. I imaged the original hd and installed the image to the ssd. I am concerned that windows 7 may not recognize that this is an ssd. For example, defrag was turned on. How can it tell if it is recognized as an ssd by the operating system?

Is there a way to fix this without having to re-install the os?

The SSD optimizer says it is not supported on this drive.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Going back to the original topic--there ought to be one or more registry entries that would indicate the answer to whether SSD optimizations are in place. But they probably will not refer to SSD directly. The oft-referenced Microsoft posting discussing SSDs and Win7 mentions that the optimizations do not involve a check to see if a disk is SSD. Instead, Win7 is supposed to run a file IO test on the system disk and change some system settings if the result is high enough.

I have not seen anything to confirm that this process made it into the final cut of Win7. Maybe not. But if a test is run, where are the results? Is a high Windows Experience component score for Primary Hard Disk good enough? Is there an IO test run for a couple of seconds during the Win7 install? Could be something like these, or something else.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

First, all my posts in this thread are on topic. The question of how to tell if an SSD is recognized is confusing to say the least, but the issue is really not all that important if your SSD gives normal scores with AS SSD, except that Superfetch and Prefetch should be disabled and Microsoft has never denied that in the thread I started on Windows 7 forum. In fact, the moderator there even referred to that "referenced posting" I quoted and linked to.

The lack of knowledge regarding your questions is solely because Microsoft has not answered my question on their Windows 7 forum. Of course, they could be coming forth with an SP1 fix that addresses the issues, but that remains to be seen.

As for the WEI, I get 7.7 or 7.8 and certainly is high enough to alleviate any concerns I might have of my SSD performing as expected with regard to Intel, however, the issue of Superfetch and Prefetch is an entirely different matter, but still relevant with regard to Windows 7.

If you read my thread there, you should know Microsoft never explained how Windows 7 determines you have an SSD, as well as never denying that "referenced posting" being relevant to final edition of Windows 7.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Perhaps something in the readme will help:

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Neo Sans Intel Medium"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:Arial; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Neo Sans Intel"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"Segoe Script"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1018461300; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-820628554 -60786850 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693 67698689 67698691 67698693;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-start-at:0; mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:; mso-level-tab-stop:none; mso-level-number-position:left; margin-left:67.5pt; text-indent:-.25in; font-family:Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} -->

Installation Requirements

· A Microsoft Windows* operating system; Windows XP, Windows Vista* or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit versions)

· .NET Framework 2.0

· Disk Defragmenter is turned off (Windows Vista* or Windows* 7) or not running (Windows XP).

· At least 10 MB of free space on your drive

· A non-RAID configuration

· A non Dynamic Disk configuration

System Configuration Requirements for Intel SSD Toolbox

· Virtualized Environments are not supported

· Drives detected under Microsoft Windows* as SCSI are not supported

<p class="MsoNormal" st...