cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

howto tell if ssd is recognized as such

Ade_l12
New Contributor

I got an x25-e for my laptop. I imaged the original hd and installed the image to the ssd. I am concerned that windows 7 may not recognize that this is an ssd. For example, defrag was turned on. How can it tell if it is recognized as an ssd by the operating system?

Is there a way to fix this without having to re-install the os?

The SSD optimizer says it is not supported on this drive.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

deleted

Message was edited by: marcuslai

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, it really isn't that easy--see my posts above.

Defrag is just one of the things that is supposed to be turned off--Superfetch and Prefetch are others.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know the ins and outs of prefetch and superfetch, so my basic checking is for example, at the service level. Superfetch is on automatic and started. Prefetch I have no idea, but there is a folder C:\Windows\prefetch with files in it dated most recent today so I believe that's on aswell.

I'm not phased really, because the disk isn't writing or wearing out the SSD, and with plenty of RAM, I can't see the negative performance from pre/superfetch (apart from software not doing as it is designed or said to behave from a software point of view).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, if your SSD was recognized as such by Windows 7 according to what Microsoft said, both Superfetch and Prefetch would be disabled--it is as simple as that. 🙂

It appears to be a bug in Windows 7, and does affect your SSD's performance. Read the article I quoted from in my first post on the Windows 7 forum.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

By the way, there is at least one individual who reported Superfetch being turned off--from that thread I started on Windows 7 forum:

Hello Nano, in case you are not aware of, Intel has recently released a new firmware update tool (02HD) for the X-18/X25 series SSD to fix the drive-bricking issues. You can download it http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 here and so far the user experiences have been positive (see Intel forum /thread/8865?start=0&tstart=0 here ). 

I'd also like to chime in on this issue. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe board with the latest BIOS installed. SATA mode is set to AHCI in BIOS. My Intel X25-M G2 SSD (w/ 02HA firmware) is installed on the SATA0 port and another WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD is installed on SATA1 port. However, unlike others have reported, my Win7 Ultimate (x64) DID recognize the SSD and disabled Defrag, ReadyBoost, and Superfetch. However, I am not sure if Prefetch was disabled since I still see files in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder.