cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

howto tell if ssd is recognized as such

Ade_l12
New Contributor

I got an x25-e for my laptop. I imaged the original hd and installed the image to the ssd. I am concerned that windows 7 may not recognize that this is an ssd. For example, defrag was turned on. How can it tell if it is recognized as an ssd by the operating system?

Is there a way to fix this without having to re-install the os?

The SSD optimizer says it is not supported on this drive.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

if you use defrag as the test to see if it was recognised properly, i think there is a popular misconception about defrag and SSDs ... it is meant to be on; all windows does if it detects the SSD properly, is it will remove the ssd from the defrag schedule.

1. in the main disk defragmenter window, click "Configure Schedule" (note: the SSD's volume(s) will show up here in the main screen as 'never run')

2. in the modify schedule window click "Select Disks"

3. there should be a a tick next to select all disks (by default).

4. there should be a tick next to any other mechanical spinning disks (by default).

5. your windows volume on the X25-E (or any other volume on the SSD) should not appear in this screen.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Superfetch and Prefetch should also be disabled in Windows 7. The issue is Windows 7 as far as I'm concerned. Defrag should be disabled for your SSD, again, I believe this to be a Windows 7 issue. While what should be disabled is not does not mean your SSD is not recognized as such in Windows 7, it appears to be a bug in Windows 7, just like the MSE bug.

Here is an excerpt from a thread I started in a thread on Microsoft's Windows 7 forum:

@ambizytl: 

I appreciate all the work you have been doing. Sorry for not getting back sooner, I had given up on this, as it does not appear to be a priority to MS. Here is a picture of my defrag window, showing that my C: drive (Intel G2 SSD) was defragged before I disabled defragmenter, even though the SSD is not shown in the "Select Disk" list on the next window. Interestingly, that was before I applied the "Trim" firmware.The Superfetch service is Started and set to Automatic. In the registry, EnablePrefetcher & EnableSuperfetch both have a value of 3, which apparently means that they are enabled. There are current files in the Windows\Prefetch folder. I don't know any other way to check Prefetch or Superfetch.

The entire thread can be found here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/c4cca52e-81c3-4139-b600-502b0fb... http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/c4cca52e-81c3-4139-b600-502b0fb...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

interesting thread ambizytl,

here's my defrag window and it was actually earlier today that it was scheduled to run. if i remember correctly, i was using it at 2'ish, but it ran when i was out: (for clarity, C: = ssd. S:= mechanical) [basic config: 80GB G2, 7 x64 with native ahci driver, Intel 1.20E AHCI BIOS]

The only difference i can see from that posts is that my drive was new, had the latest firmware updated, then i began using it and installed window.

This has been about 2½ weeks so far, so I think detection here is working as expected?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The issue is how your SSD is recognized by Windows 7 according to what Microsoft said; for example, both Superfetch and Prefetch should be disabled.

Do you have Superfetch and Prefetch disabled?