cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intel SSD DC P3520 failed to install Windows Server 2012 R2 with the error "We couldn't create a partition or locate an existing one"

rliu25
New Contributor

I have got the problem that my server can't install Windows Server 2012 R2. There are 4 SSD connected to my server, three are Intel SSD DC P3520 Series 450G and one is Intel SSD DC P3520

Series 2.0TB. All of the disks are unallocated space. And when I tried to select the drive to install the system, the error "We couldn't create a partition or locate an existing one" was listed. The details

were "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's Bios menu."

Because the boot mode is legacy, I tried to change disk partition format to mbr by dispart command. However,it doesn't work. Now I have no idea about this problem, could you please help me?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Baldwin,

We understand you can't install Windows* Server 2012 R2 in one of our Intel® SSD DC P3520 series, we'd like to help you with this. Could you please try these steps and let us know if it worked:
  • Start Windows* setup using your bootable media.
  • Click the Repair button.
  • Choose Advanced tools and then select Command Prompt.
  • When Command Prompt opens, please type diskpart and hit enter.
  • Now type list disk. (You should see the list of all hard drives connected to your computer).
  • Find the number that represents the SSD you want to install Windows* on and type: select disk X (Where X is the number of your disk)
  • Enter the following lines and press Enter after each line:

• disk X clean
  • disk X create partition primary
  • disk X active
  • disk X format fs=ntfs quick
  • disk X assign

• Type exit in order to close Command Prompt.
  • Start the installation process again.

We have seen several users with this situation and all of them got it resolved by following those instructions, please let us know if it works for you.

Regards,

Nestor C

rliu25
New Contributor

Hello Nestor C,

First,thanks for your help.

But unfortunately, the method you offered didn't work well on my server.

By the way,I want to know if there are other possibilities about this problem.

Regards,

Baldwin

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Baldwin,

Thanks for trying the suggestion. We believe that what Gize2 mentions is very important, you may want to try changing the boot mode in your BIOS for UEFI.

Please try that configuration and let us know, it makes total sense.

Regards,

Nestor C

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Baldwin,

We would like to know if you were able to try the previous recommendations and if you require further assistance. We'll be waiting for your response.Regards,Nestor C