cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intel ssd DC P3500 Series --Encryption

dkuma27
New Contributor

Is DC P3500 self encrypted drive? We have a request from few clients on drive encryption. We would like to provide necessary information to them. Are there any commands to retrieve the encryption state of these drives or through console? As the drives are connect to raid controller, if we move these drives to another node as the configuration is not copied to the other nodes the drives should not be accessible by anyone, right?

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello dsagar799,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® SSD DC P3500 Series. I understand that you are interested in knowing more about the SSD's encryption. I will be needing more time to answer your questions. As soon as I find something relevant I'll contact you. Thank you for your patience. Regards,Andres V.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello dsagar799,

I would like to inform you that the Intel® SSD DC P3500 Series is a Self-Encrypting Drive (SED). This means the drive is always encrypting the user data stored on the media. This is true for all our SSDs. Specifically, Intel SSDs support AES 256-bit encryption, this feature is always enabled (so there is no need for a console command to retrieve the encryption state) and the data is encrypted and decrypted using a key, however, this is transparent to the user. For more information on AES 256-bit encryption, please check the following link https://www.nist.gov/publications/advanced-encryption-standard-aes https://www.nist.gov/publications/advanced-encryption-standard-aes If you want to set a password protected encryption, you can use the software based solutions such as BitLocker*, MacAfee* Drive Encryption or ATA security password. Finally, the access to the SSD's information that are part of the RAID depend on the specific RAID configuration and the software encryption involved.NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here. Regards,Andres V.