cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

limited tech background - ssd questions

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

1. Does writing to a 2nd drive reduce wear on my X25-M 80GB? In other words if I store all my data on a mechanical drive, such as a Raptor, using the ssd only to retrieve files from that Raptor will it cut down on the writes? I would assume so but my technical bacground is very limited.

2. If "yes" to above will ssd performance be negatively impacted?

3. Is it a bad idea to have dual boot config with Win7 and XP set up on my ssd? I've heard that XP is harder on these drives than Win7 or Vista.

I am using the Intel SSD Toolbox and running the management tools regular on both partitions and it always says "ready for use" after it finishes. Of course that doesn't tell me what long term effects on drive will be. I was surprised that the tools worked with XP even though XP is not supposed to support TRIM.

4. Does doing a clean erase of an ssd bring it back to its orignal state or would it depend more on what kind of ssd you have?

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually the last suggestion sounds good if you don't feel comfortable doing it manually. Personally I haven't try it but I will eventually to see how it will work out.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks guys. Some very useful info. Much appreciated.