Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericc
Beginner

pcie nvme drive is set readonly/write protected. i've been using the drive six months to a year and now i can't even format the drive. no changes have been made in the past 3 months (Shy windows 10 updates)

disk partition shows as:

Current Read-only State : Yes

Read-only : No

Boot Disk : No

Pagefile Disk : No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

admin supposedly has read/write according to windows (so running something as admin; i still get write protection can't save files to the disk)

i've tried setting permissions; and using diskpart to clear the read only flag. Then I tried copying the files off to another drive and formatting (Couldn't get the files to copy.)

Then I tried formatting (can't- disk is write protected.)

not sure what to try next. any suggestions?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Community Manager

willr,

Could you please let us know what Intel® SSD you have installed?

Are using this drive to boot or storage?

Best regards,

Aleki
ericc
Beginner

NVMe INTEL SSDPEDMW40

Disk ID: 8CD6D1D4

Type : NVMe

Path : 0

Target : 0

LUN ID : 0

Location Path : PCIROOT(0)# PCI(0302)# PCI(0000)# NVME(P00T00L00)

Just storage luckily or I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

idata
Community Manager

willr,

In this particular case, please try thehttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool Intel® SSD Data Center Tool file name: DataCenterTool_3_0_0_Windows.zip

For your convenience, here is the user guide. It contains information on how to secure erase.

Let us know if this helped you.

Best regards,

Aleki

ericc
Beginner

C:\isdct>isdct show -intelssd

No results

C:\isdct>isdct load -intelssd

WARNING! You have selected to update the drives firmware!

Proceed with the update? (Y|N): y

Updating firmware...

Error: No device selected.

C:\isdct>isdct show -nvmelog smarthealthinfo

C:\isdct>isdct show -nvmelog

If you want something more specific i think your gonna have to ask for it. not in my life have i seen a more obtuse tool and i'm a bsd user...

idata
Community Manager

willr,

We are going to check this and will get back to you soon.

Best regards,

Aleki
idata
Community Manager

willr,

Thank you for your time. We would like to inform you that we are still checking in order to provide you the best answer possible. Thank you for your patience. Please, should you have any further questions or doubts, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Aleki
ericc
Beginner

I'm ok with you taking your time but if we can't fix it i think my 1year rma is up in a few days; this upcoming weekend (saturday i think) so i'd really like this sorted.

idata
Community Manager

willr,

Have you had the opportunity to run the tool informed previously as admin? if not, please do so. Also, we need to take a look at the SMART details, please send us this piece of information as well as a clear picture of the drive where it shows its label.

If possible, could you provide us information about the environment that this drive is installed? Please bear in mind that this is a consumer drive, therefore, if this drive is being used on a server environment, it can be degraded. This drive supports up to 70GB per day, if more is applied as this is common on a server environment, the expected life time will be highly affected.

Best regards,

Aleki
ericc
Beginner

as stated- if you have specific command your looking for me to run sure let me know; i copy/pasted the results (including asking for smart details) above. Nothing seems to work in that tool.

It's standard windows 10 environment ( I bought the drive the weekend win10 was released ) but it's just a game drive (StarCraft II) because i didn't like running it in ramdisk too much setup time.

Other then that, a few small steam games. It's all that's ever been installed, patch every few months whenever blizzard releases one. I'd be surprised if it's pushed 400gb(its own size) in its entire lifetime. Nevermind 70gb/day. Nowhere near.

idata
Community Manager

willr,

We know that Windows® 10 comes with the generic NVMe* driver that works for NVMe* SSDs.

In cases like this, where the SSD is not being seen by the Intel® Data Center Tool may be due to Windows* driver.

Please, try the Intel NVMe* Driver that we recommend to use for this kind of SSD model. For your convenience, here is the link to it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-Drivers Intel® SSD Data Center Family for NVMe Drivers

Once you have successfully installed these drivers, please try to write/read files to the SSD and let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Aleki
ericc
Beginner

did this but it didn't detect/download the driver either.

idata
Community Manager

willr,

In this case, it may be that the Disk is set to "Read Only" and this is preventing you from formatting the drive. Please, bear in mind that you can do this procedure for the the partition, volume and disk. Based on your description you can use the command below. Check this link also for further information: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx DiskPart Command-Line Options the example below shows the command being used for the disk but you can use similar command for the partition.

On the Cmd prompt launch "diskpart.exe"

Run the following commands on the diskpart prompt

LIST DISK

This will list all the disks in your system.

Note down the number of your new SSD, then do the following

SELECT DISK x

Where X is the number of your Intel® SSD, then do the following

DETAIL DISK

This will list all the details of the selected disk.

Check if the ReadOnly flag is set to Yes.

Then execute the following command

ATTR DISK CLEAR READONLY

This should clear the flag on the disk, please try to initialize the SSD again.

If the issue persists, we may have a readonly flag on an existing volume, run the same command, but now on the volume:

LIST VOLUME

SELECT VOLUME x

DETAIL VOLUME

ATTR VOLUME CLEAR READONLY

Best regards,

Aleki
ericc
Beginner

yes and as i stated in my first post i did try to clear the read only attribute via disk part.

idata
Community Manager

willr,

In this particular case, we recommend to contact your nearest Intel contact center in order to obtain live support and additional assistance from one of our technicians. For your convenience, here is the link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Intel Contact Support

Best regards,

Aleki
ericc
Beginner

i would but you guys have bankers hours

i work 6-6 and am not usually home until well after 8.

idata
Community Manager

willr,

We are going to do our best to assist you, could you please check your private messages?

Best regards,

Aleki

idata
Community Manager

willr,

Thank you for the information provided. We have created a service ticket for you. Please take a look at your email inbox and your private messages here and confirm if you have received an email from us. This situation will now be treated via the service ticket that has been created on your behalf.

Best regards,

Aleki
idata
Community Manager

willr,

We have received confirmation the an RMA has been processed on your behalf for your SSD. We would like to ask you if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Best regards,

Aleki
idata
Community Manager

Hello willr,

Your RMA has been confirmed, please check your private message.

Best regards,

Aleki
IIrwi
Novice

I am facing exactly same issue.. could you provide what was the solution given by Intel?..​

Product​ Name - INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7

I have tried diskpart method to remove read-only attribute but still SSD is in read - only state..

Also Intel Rapid Storage is not detecting my SSD..​

Please help..I have been ​using this for a year...never got this issue previously..