cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pcie nvme drive is set readonly/write protected. i've been using the drive six months to a year and now i can't even format the drive. no changes have been made in the past 3 months (Shy windows 10 updates)

ericc
New Contributor

disk partition shows as:

Current Read-only State : Yes

Read-only : No

Boot Disk : No

Pagefile Disk : No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

admin supposedly has read/write according to windows (so running something as admin; i still get write protection can't save files to the disk)

i've tried setting permissions; and using diskpart to clear the read only flag. Then I tried copying the files off to another drive and formatting (Couldn't get the files to copy.)

Then I tried formatting (can't- disk is write protected.)

not sure what to try next. any suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

willr,

We are going to check this and will get back to you soon.Best regards,Aleki

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

willr,

Thank you for your time. We would like to inform you that we are still checking in order to provide you the best answer possible. Thank you for your patience. Please, should you have any further questions or doubts, please do not hesitate to contact us.Best regards,Aleki

ericc
New Contributor

I'm ok with you taking your time but if we can't fix it i think my 1year rma is up in a few days; this upcoming weekend (saturday i think) so i'd really like this sorted.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

willr,

Have you had the opportunity to run the tool informed previously as admin? if not, please do so. Also, we need to take a look at the SMART details, please send us this piece of information as well as a clear picture of the drive where it shows its label.If possible, could you provide us information about the environment that this drive is installed? Please bear in mind that this is a consumer drive, therefore, if this drive is being used on a server environment, it can be degraded. This drive supports up to 70GB per day, if more is applied as this is common on a server environment, the expected life time will be highly affected.Best regards,Aleki

ericc
New Contributor

as stated- if you have specific command your looking for me to run sure let me know; i copy/pasted the results (including asking for smart details) above. Nothing seems to work in that tool.

It's standard windows 10 environment ( I bought the drive the weekend win10 was released ) but it's just a game drive (StarCraft II) because i didn't like running it in ramdisk too much setup time.

Other then that, a few small steam games. It's all that's ever been installed, patch every few months whenever blizzard releases one. I'd be surprised if it's pushed 400gb(its own size) in its entire lifetime. Nevermind 70gb/day. Nowhere near.