cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pcie nvme drive is set readonly/write protected. i've been using the drive six months to a year and now i can't even format the drive. no changes have been made in the past 3 months (Shy windows 10 updates)

ericc
New Contributor

disk partition shows as:

Current Read-only State : Yes

Read-only : No

Boot Disk : No

Pagefile Disk : No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

admin supposedly has read/write according to windows (so running something as admin; i still get write protection can't save files to the disk)

i've tried setting permissions; and using diskpart to clear the read only flag. Then I tried copying the files off to another drive and formatting (Couldn't get the files to copy.)

Then I tried formatting (can't- disk is write protected.)

not sure what to try next. any suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

willr,

We know that Windows® 10 comes with the generic NVMe* driver that works for NVMe* SSDs.In cases like this, where the SSD is not being seen by the Intel® Data Center Tool may be due to Windows* driver.Please, try the Intel NVMe* Driver that we recommend to use for this kind of SSD model. For your convenience, here is the link to it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-Drivers Intel® SSD Data Center Family for NVMe DriversOnce you have successfully installed these drivers, please try to write/read files to the SSD and let us know how it goes.Best regards,Aleki

ericc
New Contributor

did this but it didn't detect/download the driver either.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

willr,

In this case, it may be that the Disk is set to "Read Only" and this is preventing you from formatting the drive. Please, bear in mind that you can do this procedure for the the partition, volume and disk. Based on your description you can use the command below. Check this link also for further information: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx DiskPart Command-Line Options the example below shows the command being used for the disk but you can use similar command for the partition.

On the Cmd prompt launch "diskpart.exe"

Run the following commands on the diskpart prompt

LIST DISK

This will list all the disks in your system.

Note down the number of your new SSD, then do the followingSELECT DISK x

Where X is the number of your Intel® SSD, then do the following

DETAIL DISK

This will list all the details of the selected disk.

Check if the ReadOnly flag is set to Yes.

Then execute the following command

ATTR DISK CLEAR READONLY

This should clear the flag on the disk, please try to initialize the SSD again.

If the issue persists, we may have a readonly flag on an existing volume, run the same command, but now on the volume:

LIST VOLUME

SELECT VOLUME x DETAIL VOLUME ATTR VOLUME CLEAR READONLYBest regards,Aleki

ericc
New Contributor

yes and as i stated in my first post i did try to clear the read only attribute via disk part.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

willr,

In this particular case, we recommend to contact your nearest Intel contact center in order to obtain live support and additional assistance from one of our technicians. For your convenience, here is the link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Intel Contact SupportBest regards,Aleki