cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pcie nvme drive is set readonly/write protected. i've been using the drive six months to a year and now i can't even format the drive. no changes have been made in the past 3 months (Shy windows 10 updates)

ericc
New Contributor

disk partition shows as:

Current Read-only State : Yes

Read-only : No

Boot Disk : No

Pagefile Disk : No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk : No

Clustered Disk : No

admin supposedly has read/write according to windows (so running something as admin; i still get write protection can't save files to the disk)

i've tried setting permissions; and using diskpart to clear the read only flag. Then I tried copying the files off to another drive and formatting (Couldn't get the files to copy.)

Then I tried formatting (can't- disk is write protected.)

not sure what to try next. any suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23

IIrwi
New Contributor II

I am facing exactly same issue.. could you provide what was the solution given by Intel?..​

Product​ Name - INTEL SSDPEKKW256G7

I have tried diskpart method to remove read-only attribute but still SSD is in read - only state..

Also Intel Rapid Storage is not detecting my SSD..​

Please help..I have been ​using this for a year...never got this issue previously..

Cognetic
New Contributor

Intel SSD is in Locked Read-Only Mode

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022714/memory-and-storage.html

Solid-state drives entering into a locked read-only mode happens for only one reason. Here is more information about the issue and how to avoid it.

What is happening?

Solid-state drives may enter into a locked read-only mode once the over-provisioned space depletes and the drive exceeds its lifetime writes. The Media Wear-Out Indicator under the SMART attribute E9 measures lifetime writes.

Cognetic
New Contributor

Cognetic
New Contributor

For us.  Intel drive automatically put itself in a read-only mode, due to exceeding SMART thresholds.  Can confirm this using the Intel Memory and storage tool.  

Our solution.  Replace with a new SSD and restore from the read-only drive, backup, cloud, etc.    

In short, start with reading the SSD first, before going through all the above time wastes that people are just google searching, copy and pasting.  If your SSD is locked in a read-only mode, the above command prompts, registry hacks, etc. will not work.  Firmware maybe, but long shot.. Best to just start with a new stick.  Hopefully someone else can chime in and prove me wrong though.  Best of luck!