cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Error reading from drive A" during X-25 M firmware update?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My system includes: Asus P7P55D-PRO motherboard, Intel X25-M 80GB 34nm SSD, Samsung SH-S223L SATA CD-burner.

Tried updating to the brand new firmware with TRIM support. After changing BIOS-settings to use IDE Compatibility mode instead of ACHI, I got the firmware updater to recognize the SSD. However, after answering yes to all the questions, the program went silent for several minutes, and then blurted out the following error:

Tried (R)etry a couple of times before hitting (A)bort and finally after some more (A)borting, was presented with a simple command prompt (">").

I thought there was something wrong with the CD, so I reburned the ISO image and booted it again. This time it claimed the firmware was already installed. Intel Matrix Storage concures, at least it shows the correct Firmware number for the new version and everything seems to work as usual. Also, when Windows first booted after the attempted update, it said something like "A restart is required to make these changes"; could this mean it detected TRIM capability and enabled it?

Looks like the update did work(?), but the output telling about it didn't. Anyone have any explanations for the behaviour? Some thoughts:
  • could it be related to using a SATA DVD-burner (instead of plain vanilla IDE)?
  • could it be related to using a re-writable (CD-RW) disk instead of CD-R (which would be odd, as FirstDOS and the update utility seemed to start normally)

Is there any way to check that the actual firmware (as opposed to some text string reserved for the version number) was updated? Did anybody with similar ASUS mainboards and SATA DVD-burners manage to update without hitches, and how was your BIOS configured with regards to AHCI vs IDE Compatibility vs IDE Enhanced?

Best regards,

Alftoo

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just rebooted back from trying to update my SSD and had the exact same thing. I also thought that my CD was corrupted and I was just about to burn another copy of the ISO to see if it would help. I wonder is my SSD updated or not, I had to reset because after couple of aborts nothing happened

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just boot from the CD, and tell it to continue ("Have you read the file", etc), and it will tell you "The firmware on this SSD has been updated," if it has been updated, and it will give you the current firmware version number, hopefully version 2CV102HD, which is this latest downloadable release.