cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Intel SSD Toolbox has stopped working" with Intel 730 240GB SSD

AC6
New Contributor

I am running a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB and an Intel 730 SSD 240GB on an Apricorn Velocity Duo PCIe card on a Dell Precision T7810 workstation running Windows 10 64-bit. The Samsung 850 Evo is set up as the C drive and the Samsung Magician software is able to manage this drive just fine. I just installed the Intel 730 drive as an additional drive. I have not set up any partitions on this drive yet. I intend to use the 730 for paging/swap partitions for a few VMware Workstation 12 Pro virtual machines.

I installed the latest Intel SSD Toolbox (version 3.3.4). However, when I launch the toolbox, it always presents the message "Intel SSD Toolbox has stopped working." My Windows OS is up to date. There are no pending updates. I am using Norton Antivirus (Norton Security with Backup) if that matters.

I am unable to run the Intel SSD Toolbox. Please help!

14 REPLIES 14

AC6
New Contributor

Forgot to mention that both Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskInfo are able to see the Intel 730 SSD and report SMART attributes. Windows Disk Management tool is able to see this drive as well. However, I can't get the Intel SSD Toolbox to launch successfully.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ACDC,

We understand the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox does not work after installation. We have tried the program in our lab with different operating systems (Windows 7*, Windows 8.1* and Windows® 10) and it worked fine.

Did you try the executable file download? Or did you also try downloading the zip file?

Just in case, here is the link to get both files: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Download Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox

Please let us know for any updates.

AC6
New Contributor

Nestor_Intel,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded and installed the exe version. When it gave an error message upon launch, I read others reporting similar problems on this forum and did what Intel normally suggests - I uninstalled the Intel SSD Toolbox, applied any pending Windows updates, and reinstalled the Toolbox. However, nothing changed. I'm still unable to launch the Toolbox successfully.

I'm sure you have tested it in the lab on various OS's. However, there could be other parameters causing the problem. For instance, have you tested with the Intel SSD not as the C drive? Have you tested with another manufacturer's SSD (Samsung EVO appears to be the most popular consumer-grade SSD) as the C drive and Intel SSD as a second drive? Have you tested with no partitions on the Intel SSD? Have you tested with an Apricorn Velocity Duo PCIe card for mounting the drive in a PCIe slot? I can think of many other scenarios that you possibly didn't test in the labs. I need help. Let me know what information I could provide to assist with your analysis.

BTW, the Samsung EVO SSD (and the Samsung Magician software) works like a charm as the first or second SSD on an Apricorn Velocity Duo installed in a Dell Workstation T7810 running Window 10. Samsung Magician is able to see the Intel 730 SSD as a second drive but, of course, it can't manage the Intel SSD. I'm not able to launch Intel SSD Toolbox to manage the Intel SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ACDC,

We have tested all those scenarios and in our side it works fine. Is there any way you may check for logs or event viewer as this situation is not happening in our systems. Also, have you tested in a different system?