cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Intel SSD Toolbox has stopped working" with Intel 730 240GB SSD

AC6
New Contributor

I am running a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB and an Intel 730 SSD 240GB on an Apricorn Velocity Duo PCIe card on a Dell Precision T7810 workstation running Windows 10 64-bit. The Samsung 850 Evo is set up as the C drive and the Samsung Magician software is able to manage this drive just fine. I just installed the Intel 730 drive as an additional drive. I have not set up any partitions on this drive yet. I intend to use the 730 for paging/swap partitions for a few VMware Workstation 12 Pro virtual machines.

I installed the latest Intel SSD Toolbox (version 3.3.4). However, when I launch the toolbox, it always presents the message "Intel SSD Toolbox has stopped working." My Windows OS is up to date. There are no pending updates. I am using Norton Antivirus (Norton Security with Backup) if that matters.

I am unable to run the Intel SSD Toolbox. Please help!

14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi ACDC,

We would like to gather more details about this situation, could you please let us know the specs of your system? (Try to be very specific about the components).

Once we have detail information of your system, we will double check here and hopefully we can find a solution right away. We are going to test this new version as well here in our lab with different scenarios.

AC6
New Contributor

Hi Nestor_Intel,

Here is all the relevant system information as reported by Belarc Advisor software.

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Workstation

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.218)

Boot Mode: UEFI with Secure Boot disabled

Board: Dell Inc. 0GWHMW A00

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

UEFI: Dell Inc. A09 09/26/2015

Processors

2.40 gigahertz Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3

512 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

20480 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (8 total)

Hyper-threaded (16 total)

Empty processor sockets: 1

Memory

32692 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1_CPU1' has 8192 MB

Slot 'DIMM3_CPU1' has 8192 MB

Slot 'DIMM2_CPU1' has 8192 MB

Slot 'DIMM4_CPU1' has 8192 MB

Slot 'DIMM1_CPU2' is Empty

Slot 'DIMM3_CPU2' is Empty

Slot 'DIMM2_CPU2' is Empty

Slot 'DIMM4_CPU2' is Empty

Drives

PLDS DVD-ROM DS-8DBSH [Optical drive]

INTEL SSDSC2BP240G4 [Hard drive] (240.06 GB) -- drive 2, s/n ****, rev L2010420, SMART Status: Healthy

LSI MR9260CV-8i SCSI Disk Device (6000.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n ****

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 1, s/n ****, rev EMT02B6Q, SMART Status: Healthy

Bus Adapters

AVAGO MegaRAID SAS Adapter (LSI9260CV-8i)

Marvell 92xx SATA 6G Controller (Acronis Velocity Duo x2)

Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller

Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller # 1 - 8D26

Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller # 2 - 8D2D

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

Multimedia

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

USB Audio Device

Display Adapter

NVIDIA Quadro K4200

The Samsung 850 EVO SSD and the Intel 730 SSD are both installed on the Acronis Velocity Duo x2 PCIe card. The Samsung SSD is in the first position and the Intel SSD is in the second position on this PCIe card. The Samsung SSD is set up as the C: drive (the boot drive). The LSI MegaRAID card is running a RAID5 array of hard disks. I plan to use the Intel SSD as a swap partition / virtual memory for several virtual machines under VMware workstation.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Regards

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ACDC,

It seems the situation with the program is communicating with the Acronis Velocity Duo X2 PCIe card and not directly with the SSD, in order for the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox to communicate with the SSD it is required to be connected (In your case) to the SATA port in the motherboard.

It may be possible you can verify if there is an update for the PCIe card and work, but as far as we have tested, we need the SSD to be connected to a SATA port.

AC6
New Contributor

Nestor_Intel,

That's unfortunate. I don't have any available drive bays to connect the Intel SSD to an onboard SATA port. All the drive bays are used up by the RAID5 array behind the LSI MegaRAID adapter. That's why I placed this SSD on the Acronis PCIe adapter.

The Samsung Evo 850 SSD works very well with the Acronics Velocity Duo X2 PCIe adapter. Samsung Magician software (equivalent of Intel SSD Toolbox) is able to manage and optimize Samsung SSDs installed on the Acronis PCIe adapter. You stated in your earlier posting of April 8 that Intel has tested all scenarios I listed (which included the Acronis PCIe adapter.) Now you tell me that it's not supported. I'm now past the return window for the Intel SSD. I'll have to sell it at a loss on eBay and purchase a second Samsung SSD instead. Too bad.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ACDC,

The scenarios we tested were always SSDs connected directly to the motherboard, we apologize for our misunderstanding.We will gather this situation as feedback to improve the communication with our SSDs.