cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

" Intel has a task team in place " Why don't they join us?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's been a week since the problems began and basically no word from Intel. This is really a lame response to a major problem.

Why doesn't someone from the "task team", who are supposedly working on this issue, join this forum? Start a thread, let us know what's going on and, most importantly, seek some feedback. There are alot of smart folks on this forum, and maybe if you let us know whats going on and ask some questions, you might get some helpful answers.

Or, are you just too big and important that it would be too low for you to stoop?

35 REPLIES 35

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
I just thought I'd throw this in here. My drive was bricked, I phoned the support number and was speaking to a live person within 5 minutes, and paid $25 to have a drive cross-shipped air mail, which arrived 2 days after the phone call. Still the old firmware, and I'm still waiting to hear what is going to happen with a new firmware, but I have a brand new drive running and it only cost $25. I don't know about this 8-10 week RMA...

I did the same thing. It only cost me $25 to get a brand new drive (bought the day before) replaced with a brand new drive. Now thats a bargain!

I have no issues with the support phone call or the RMA process. However, this is one issue that Intel is clearly responsible for. They should have bitten the bullet and covered the $25 themselves. There are alot of people sitting on the fence waiting for some direction from the giant.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

retiredfields wrote:

I just thought I'd throw this in here. My drive was bricked, I phoned the support number and was speaking to a live person within 5 minutes, and paid $25 to have a drive cross-shipped air mail, which arrived 2 days after the phone call. Still the old firmware, and I'm still waiting to hear what is going to happen with a new firmware, but I have a brand new drive running and it only cost $25. I don't know about this 8-10 week RMA...

I did the same thing. It only cost me $25 to get a brand new drive (bought the day before) replaced with a brand new drive. Now thats a bargain!

I have no issues with the support phone call or the RMA process. However, this is one issue that Intel is clearly responsible for. They should have bitten the bullet and covered the $25 themselves. There are alot of people sitting on the fence waiting for some direction from the giant.

That's awesome if you are in the US, if you're not though you'll find you can't really do that. Not all the world has a supply of replacement spares ready to send out like this.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not in the U.S., actually. I'm in Fort McMurray, AB, Canada... and shipping here, especially airmail, is not cheap. I would imagine that Intel lost money on shipping it to me.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I heard that this is the second time Intel had an issue with the firmware. How long did it take Intel to fix the first firmware problem?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think from April to August... not sure, but I think that was the reason the G2 drives weren't shipping for so long.

Also, I spoke with the Intel tech support rep about the firmware and the BIOS password issue. I used HDDerase 3.3 to blank my drive, but I unwittingly used the enhanced secure erase option, which apparently sets a password on the drive (thus bricking it). However, I could get it to work a little after that, and the support rep said that if the firmware could update, then the new firmware was supposed to fix this issue as well and all would be good. The firmware update worked, but the drive didn't, at least not for long. Maybe this 'fix' might be at the root of the problem, and not just enabling TRIM