cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ssd toolbox optimizer

sboud
New Contributor II

I'm told that Windows 7 handles the trim functionality. does that mean that I do not have to run the optimizer to delete the files marked for deletion?

Does the optimizer read a list that windows 7 has compiled to instruct the system which ones to delete?

I'm curious what part does windows 7 play in the trim functionality of the Intel Solid state drive toolbox.

is it "either-or", meaning use windows 7 to handle the trim functionality fully (listing, deleting) or use the SSD toolbox optimizer to handle this feature FULLY.

or is it a combination effort between windows 7 and the SSD toolbox optimizer?

11 REPLIES 11

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Parishsouth,

The TRIM function improves compatibility, endurance, and performance by allowing the drive to do garbage collection in the background. This collection eliminates unused blocks of data, such as deleted files.

For TRIM to function, both the SSD and operating system must support TRIM, and be enabled in the operating system. Microsoft Windows 7* has the TRIM command enabled by default, so it is normally running in the background, however, you can also use the Intel® SSD Toolbox optimize function to do a run TRIM "on demand", even though it may not be necessary.

You can find more information about TRIM and the way it works in the following document:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031242.htm Intel® High Performance Solid-State Drives — What are the Advantages of TRIM and How Do I Use It With My SSD?

sboud
New Contributor II

Hey Jonathan,

I appreciate the reply, though I'm still not confident in my complete understanding of parts and counterparts utilized for this function and/or the duties assigned to these components.

Below is an excerpt from the link you provided regarding the TRIM functionality.

So in the first line within my red mark, in the case of using Windows XP or Vista, the OPTIMIZER identifies and communicates these deleted files to the SSD.

What about the REMOVAL of these files? Then the second line within my red mark, it goes on to say that for the TRIM to function both the SSD "AND" the OS must support TRIM and enabled in the OS.

My interpretation of that is XP and Vista don't support TRIM and in that case the SSD OPTIMIZER handles the whole ball of wax.

the identification, the communication and the deletion. So why even involve the OS of W7, 8 , etc in the first place if the SSD OPTIMIZER can do it all?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

next issue, again back to the information found on the page from the link you provided,

note the line with the red arrow, wherein the SUPERFETCH feature shall be disabled.

well, below is a snapshot of the SYSTEM TUNER tab of my toolbox regarding the SUPERFETCH.

it notes that the "feature is optimized". My first inclination is to deem that SUPERFETCH is ENABLED. though I'm not

quite sure how to interpret that status.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Parishsouth,

Now that we determined the importance of TRIM as a function to improve the functionality of the SSD, here are a few relevant items related to your current inquiries:

- The Trim attribute of the ATA protocol's Data Set Management command can be done by the OS, enabling it by default in the file system (as in Windows* 7, 8, 8.1, etc), or it can be done on user demand (as it is done with Intel® SSD Toolbox optimizer). As is mentioned in the document, both methods notify the SSD of deleted files that are safe to be erased, this allows the drive to do garbage collection in the background. This only means that the actual erasing of the blocks is performed by the SSD itself, not by the TRIM command, even though it is clear that these tasks are closely related and are often reffered to as part of the same process.

- Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching are technologies that were designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs. If you are using a SSD, Windows* will normally have these features disabled by default. The status "Feature is optimized" means superfetch and prefetch are disabled.

- Windows* XP and Vista did not have native TRIM support, so the Intel® SSD Toolbox Optimizer was the only option to run TRIM on Intel® SSD's. In current Windows* versions, you have the 2 options, it is worth to mention that some systems have SSD's from other vendors, and some users do not install/use Intel® SSD Toolbox, so, native TRIM support in the OS is and advantage, and actually necessary in some scenarios.

Some of the information mentioned before is related to the OS itself, so I would like to provide you the following link from Microsoft Blogs:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

sboud
New Contributor II

Jonathan,

I so appreciate your time and patience with me on this matter. Let me add yet another issue.

Each time I run the SSD OPTIMIZER from the toolbox, the files encompassed in the red brackets below pop up on m C drive.

A tremendous amount of space is occupied as depicted in the pic.

Those files pop up only when I run the optimizer. Usually when it completes they go away.

There are times I find these files there for no reason.

If you add up the "gig" a bytes taken by these files, I'm not sure the machine is deleting these files.

It's always that large. and I'm almost certain they are always the same number of bytes.

How can assure myself that my trim functionality is working correctly?

Its hard to believe that 108gig +/- are required ALWAYS for this function.