cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ssd toolbox optimizer

sboud
New Contributor II

I'm told that Windows 7 handles the trim functionality. does that mean that I do not have to run the optimizer to delete the files marked for deletion?

Does the optimizer read a list that windows 7 has compiled to instruct the system which ones to delete?

I'm curious what part does windows 7 play in the trim functionality of the Intel Solid state drive toolbox.

is it "either-or", meaning use windows 7 to handle the trim functionality fully (listing, deleting) or use the SSD toolbox optimizer to handle this feature FULLY.

or is it a combination effort between windows 7 and the SSD toolbox optimizer?

11 REPLIES 11

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Parishsouth,

This is a normal behavior and should not have any effect in your system.

The SSD is normally filled up with Trim files while Optimizer is running. If you are using the Optimizer, it should delete all these Intel_Trim_File_XX files after it finishes.

Trim should work automatically without Optimizer (assuming the system is using Windows 7 or later). So, these files can also be shown while the system is doing the TRIM routine.

sboud
New Contributor II

"...................Trim should work automatically without Optimizer (assuming the system is using Windows 7 or later). So, these files can also be shown while the system is doing the TRIM routine................"

Jonathan, that statement was a LIGHT BULB moment for me. Wow. I never thought of that scenario. How can I determine how frequent Windows 7 is performing this task? Is the frequency based on a set schedule or could it possibly be executed based on a programmed set mark, which when reached points to the program to trim?

sboud
New Contributor II

Johnathan,

If I may bring the issue of Trim Functionality back up again.

This excerpt below is from an article that was alarming to me."How Intel's SSD Toolbox Optimizer (trim) feature works" posted 2-12-2013.

https://koitsu.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/how-intels-ssd-toolbox-optimizer-trim-feature-works/ How Intel's SSD Toolbox Optimizer (TRIM) feature works | Koitsu's Blog

---------------------------------------------------------

"........A Windows OS that supports TRIM natively does not require the Optimizer to be run. I cannot stress this point enough. In fact, depending on the behaviour of the TRIM implementation (see above), this could actually cause excessive wear/tear on the NAND flash if done repeatedly. Which leads me to…

A short story

In January I dealt with http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27933607-Buggy-Intel-SSD-520-Series-SSD-Firmware a report from a user stating his Intel 520-series SSD had "crapped out on him", insisting it was caused by "a firmware bug" http://communities.intel.com/thread/33953 reported by some random Internet user (note the username) affecting only 520-series drives that were issued ATA STANDBY or ATA SLEEP commands by the OS, or when the drive was reattached on the SATA bus.

As I began to question his prognosis, he admitted that he was running Windows 7 or 8, did not let his drive go into standby/sleep, and did not excessively remove the drive from the bus. Further pressure revealed that he had http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27934681- scheduled the Intel SSD Optimizer function to run every day at 0300 — and found that his drive "had issues" around that time, repeatedly. Thus, he concluded on his own behalf that he was, somehow, "being bit by this [unsubstantiated] firmware bug".

I was prompt to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27934887-Buggy-Intel-SSD-520-Series-SSD-Firmware lecture him about this; he actually may have killed his own SSD due to his own misunderstanding/negligence of what TRIM is and how it works. I would have be able to determine this if he had provided SMART attributes for the SSD in question, but has since failed to provide them....."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My concern Is related to the utilization of the TRIM FUNCTIONALITY tool found within the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox. I previously used the tool on a regular basis in an ongoing effort to keep my system optimized for performance as much as possible.

Though, I began to question whether or not my use of the tool may be unnecessary and possibly harmful to the SSD to the point of shortening it's life expectancy. This, in light of the chance that Windows 7, the OS installed in my BOXX, may be executing the TRIM FUNCTIONALITY itself.

This concern was brought about after reading the article "How Intel's SSD Toolbox Optimizer (trim) feature works" posted 2-12-2013, found on intel's website. ...

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Parishsouth,

I already removed the duplicate replies as you requested.

It is very difficult to determine the reason for the wear of a drive since there are many factors involved. Each drive is rated to a certain amount of written data, and guaranteed to work a determined amount of time under regular workloads. For example, the Minimum Useful Life of the Intel SSD 520 Series is expected to be 5 years with a typical client workload of up to 20 GB of host writes per day. This is specified in page 10 of the http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/ssd/pdfs/intel_ssd_520_product_spec_325968.pdf Intel® Solid-State Drive 520 Series Product Specification.

Running the SSD optimizer (manual TRIM) regularly is not recommended nor required. However, having the OS running TRIM by itself should not have a impact in the wear out of the drive, since this is actually meant to increase performance and the useful life of the drive.

In some cases, user applications or background tasks of the OS may do continuous writes to the SSD's, increasing the typical workload of the drive and reducing the expected lifetime.

sboud
New Contributor II

Hey Johnathan,

I so appreciate your time. I've been communicating my concern to BOXX, the manufacturer of my system to no avail regarding the trim functionality. Though I did get some resistance and some pretty nifty anwers.

I can always count on you to know the ins and outs of the SSD. Thank you . If you dont mind I may bug you again in the future for additional inquiries.

by the way, I was reading RANDOM WRITES AND FLUSHES: WHY IS THIS SO HARD and actually got my mind blown. theres some very stange things that go on to make the SSD work. Like something out of sci-fi. ha ah ah

If I may pose one extended question to the previous one.

When the author of the article makes the following statement what exactly would he be looking for in the SMART attributes to afford him the determination of what he is speaking of?

"......he actually may have killed his own SSD due to his own misunderstanding/negligence of what TRIM is and how it works. I would have be able to determine this if he had provided SMART attributes for the SSD in question, but has since failed to provide them....."

Thanks Johnathan.