Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the long waited INTEL RST V9.6.0.1014 is ready for download

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
74 REPLIES 74

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You don't need a floppy - unless you are installing say, XP, with AHCI mode.

The 'F6' drivers are a legacy thing when you needed to hit F6 on bootup in order to provide the drivers for the controller. These days, with vista and 7 onwards, you can install them during setup using the menu system and simply by using the 'load driver' during setup and pointing it to a flash drive with the drivers on it.

If you already have an existing installation, then upgrading is simple. Just download the relevant drivers zip (64bit/32bit) and use device manager to point the existing AHCI controller to the driver folder. Alternatively I think the new package includes an installer option which has both architectures, and i think installs a software manager for managing the drives. Intel download center is not responding for me at the moment, so I assume they've got all three available (32 bit 'floppy', 64bit 'floppy' and the installer option).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Cheers Ozz - seems to be down for me too, hopefully they havern't pulled them ><.<p>

For reference I found my Motherboard model:

X8STi

X58 Chipset

82801JR (ICH10R)

Will it work or no go?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Nah, they wouldn't have pulled them in that manner.

It will work. Key thing is the southbridge support, ICH10R. Doesn't really matter what the motherboard is/northbridge chipset.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Awesome! What great news - so this will give me Software Raid1/0 support with TRIM? Thats my life complete haha

Cheers Ozz!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

not sure about the RAID component.. I'm a single SSD user here. I'd assume so given the title of the download though.

rick7653, over the past month or so when i've been downloading quite frequently from the download center, I have noticed it's been unavailable for some times, but just give it a while and it usually comes back. I don't think the server is being overloaded from people queueing to download the RST driver... there's like, what, 10 of us?

Also, i've found that the 7 AHCI driver is quite fast for what it is. Take vista's default AHCI... now there's a slow driver

Provided this official RST release supports TRIM (and given it's been mentioned through unofficial comment that starting with the 9.6 branch, it will) then yeah, there's no reason to run the SSD toolbox optimiser - you may still want to run the toolbox however to keep tabs on your drive.