cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trim on raid 0 with x79?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Various tech sites such as Anandtech have an article up about the fact that with the newest RST software that Raid 0 and trim is supported.

Is this available for X79? The X79 of course uses RSTe which has a different version number to the normal RST and the articles do not mention anything about X79 at all

74 REPLIES 74

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My point is, in the entire universe of PC users, how many use RAID, or even know what that is?

Next, as has been pointed out many times, the enthusiast community is small relative to the number of non-enthusiast PC users.

In the PC world, X79 is the only chipset using RSTe, and is the first PC platform using RSTe.

IMO, given Intel's usual and smart conservative style, will result in this feature being added to RSTe only after it has been thoroughly verified. Hopefully there isn't a chipset restriction that stop this from happening. Simply because it is not supported now does not mean it never will. That's what I was saying in my previous post, it does make more sense to provide this feature to enterprise users, but will likely take longer. It's a smaller start to provide this in PCs, a bigger and more significant move to the enterprise.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Parsec is correct, we don't know yet if it does or doesn't, they were quite vague by only stating 7 series, not actual model numbers!

It would be nice to have an answer shortly, the whole reason I'm interested is I've been putting off buying a new SSD until Win8 is released, now that I have the RTM I want to install it on a new SSD! Installing Win8 on my Vertex 2 or X25-M seems a bit silly!

A pair of Intel 520 128gb's would be awesome

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

well what do ya know:

"Current RSTe drivers specific to X79 do NOT support TRIM on RAID 0, but an updated RST driver version coming soon will add support for X79 based systems, including the TRIM on RAID 0 feature. Note that on client 7-series chipsets (non X79), RST driver version 11.0 and beyond supports TRIM on RAID 0. -Intel"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is the full article, thanks for finding it!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/storage-news/intels-trim-support-for-raid-configurations-coming-... Intel's TRIM Support for RAID Coming to X79 &# 8216;Soon&# 8217; | Hardware Canucks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Oh ye of little faith...